Whats your pickle?Or Lahana Tourisa apo to nymphaio

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by cape chef, Jul 27, 2002.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    So who's pickling what?

1 cup shredded cabbage
    1/2 cup shredded carrots
    1/2 cup coarsly chopped wild celery (1/2 cup celery and 1/2 teaspoon celery seed)
    1/2 cup green bell peppers
    1 1/2 cups red bell peppers chopped
    1/3 cup seeded and chopped green chilies
    2 tablespoons salt
    evoo
    white wine vinegar

Wash the chopped veggies and allow to dry before pickling.place in a large basin,sprinkle with the salt,and toss to combine.Place in two 3-cup mason jars,leaving about 3 inches of space on top.Pour olive oil halfway up the jars.Fill the rest of the way with the vinegar.Close and turn upside down to combine inside the jars.refridgerate at least 3 weeks before using.The veggies will keep indefinitely
    recipe by Diane Kochilas.

Today I was learning about the many types of pickling,and was wondering how many of you are doing so,and if so..what's your pickle :)

2. rottencod

rottencod

cape chef
    I really enjoyed your recipe,or I mean to say I will enjoy it this fall as will my sister in maine.
    they have a beautiful farm and will do much canning this harvest season.

Thanks.
    Rottencod.
    p.s. hope alls well with your back.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dear Chef Rottoncod,

good to see you post on cheftalk,I am very happy that you and your sister will prepare this recipe..still waiting for those 1 1/2 lobby lobs:)
    My back is healing,and as everyone now knows,god bless percocets
    Peace brother
    cc

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    CC: that's very much like a salad I make, except I add a little sugar and leave out the oil -- but I store it in the fridge. Also, depending on what I have around, I may add julienned jicama or other veg. This works as a salad, as an addition to sandwiches, on top of rice (instead of kimchee).

Considering the source, is this a Greek recipe? It seems so universal. :lips:

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi Suzanne,

I like you idea as well, the recipe is indeed Greek and from The glorious foods of Greece,I have fallen in love with this book,from it's standpoint of history to it's beautiful recipes :)
    cc

6. robert peyton

robert peyton

I've been doing quick cucumber pickles lately, and it's been hit or miss. More often, I miss, actually, by using too much acid. The other night though, I used lemon juice instead of vinegar, cut it with a bit of water, and used more sugar than usual; it worked out pretty well.

Do you shake to mix, or sort of let it remain somewhat separate? Does it "mix" during the three weeks of curing? The recipe looks great. Thanks for posting it.