What's your perfect "sunny side up" egg?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by eastshores, Jun 12, 2017.

1. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Eggs are always a fun topic in cooking because they are so simple, versatile, delicious, and yet they can be challenging to get just right. I was wondering what techniques you guys use for a sunny side up egg? I've experimented with different approaches. I personally do not like any runny egg white, so it's an extremely thin line for me between being under and over. I've arrived at just getting the pan (small non-stick skillet with just a little oil sprayed on it) up to a medium heat, adding the egg, and then immediately covering with a cloche. I used to add a little water to the pan towards the end but that usually causes the yolk to glaze over.

Here's about as close as I can get. This egg had a large amount of egg white around the yolk. I used a free range (pasture) egg if that matters. Would love to hear your approach and see any pictures if you're going to cook yourself breakfast!

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    On boy, if you follow me on instagram you'll know I'm posting egg pictures every other day lol. Nothing better than eggs for me.

By sunny side it is meant that no heat is directly applied to the yolk. Hard to do but always a treat. I don't know what a cloche is but I do like covering the pan with a lid. I prefer generous amount of oil for my egg and the spray stuff doesn't do it for me. Usually my eggs glaze over and I don't mind however if I'm really looking for that raw yolk I cook the egg in lots of olive oil and use a spoon to continuously baste the egg white. And for a real treat I place a spoonful of pangratatto in the pan, crack the egg over it and proceeed with the frying. Nothing better than that crunch under the egg (@French Fries)

3. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A cloche is just a fancy word for a lid...it really refers to the cover that a waiter would put over a dish coming out from the kitchen, then usually remove with a flourish in front of the diner in old school fancy pants French continental restaurants. 

I don't know why eastshores chose the word "cloche" over just saying lid, but it is a pretty common technique to kind of "steam" the egg for a few seconds to cook that tricky bit of white around the yolk. 

My favorite way is to just add a knob or two of butter and kind of baste the top of the egg (not the yolk, if my aim is true). Lots of cracked pepper and some sea salt...good to go. I always do 2 at a time too because 1 egg is never enough for me. 

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    For eggs cooked this way, the so called basted egg which is really steamed with a lid is my preference. Traditional methods usually leave the white too undercooked for my taste. 

5. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yea.. I used to baste them. The picture I posted was with just the lid and the steam from the egg white cooking off.. no added water. I was happy with the result, the white was just cooked through. I think to some degree there is a presentation issue, where people prefer to see the yolk as yellow and a basted egg tends to completely change that look.

6. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Speaking of presentation.. how many of you trim eggs? I've seen it done on various TV programs. I think in my example the outer "thin" white would be trimmed off. I happen to like that part though because of the crispy edges.

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    As you can see I'll take my eggs any way I can get them, with perfectly yellow yolks or beautifully pink. 
    These are all made with plentiful oil and either steamed or basted.

8. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Good lookin eggs @Koukouvagia and I would concur.. as long as the yolk isn't cooked through (unless it's a boiled egg which I still love) just about any egg will do!