What's Your Opinion About the Final Product in This Video?

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Here's another video from quasi-celebrity cook, "Sam The Cooking Guy". In this video he makes French Onion Soup. What do you all think of his end product?

FAME OR FLAME?

Joined Dec 9, 2020
The final product has what you need… Onions, broth, cheese, toast. So it’s fine.
Production quality is great.
It’s just the foul-mouth presenter that I don’t care for. I don’t want my kids to watch these goofball gamers cussing all day long. So why should I watch this guy?

Joined Oct 31, 2012
The opening discourse on why they picked French onion soup killed it for me. This is why I stick with Jacques and Julia and others like them. Brief intro, right to the point, focus on the topic at hand.
So I fast forwarded through it. He did not caramelize the onions. I also agree with Phatch that it looks more like gravy than soup. The melted cheese looked nice but that's about it.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
The opening discourse on why they picked French onion soup killed it for me. This is why I stick with Jacques and Julia and others like them. Brief intro, right to the point, focus on the topic at hand.
So I fast forwarded through it. He did not caramelize the onions. I also agree with Phatch that it looks more like gravy than soup. The melted cheese looked nice but that's about it.
Yep. Spot on, IMO.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
With the exception of a few very minor details, this is the way I was taught to make French Onion Soup many, many moons ago. Pretty good end result, if you ask me.

Joined Dec 13, 2020
My Old Chef would smack me in the head if I got that result and called it French Onion Soup. the Cheese part look nice at the top, but the fact of soup is cloudy and texture look more like gravy than broth would eventually be so heavy for French Onion Soup. I remembered that I have to store the soup 1 night in a chiller so fat & oil get settle on surface and remove them before using for A la carte service. but I won't judge I am no French

Joined May 5, 2010
So after caramelizing onions a small amount of flour is added to them before the stock goes in. That's why it's a little cloudy and thickened somewhat....right?

Joined Nov 2, 2016
French Onion Soup...but not caramelizing the onion? Sounds like something one would get from a greasy spoon diner

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Way too long of a video for a simple topic. The caramelization is key.

There are no secrets in cooking, just good technique.
Indeed. This guy really doesn't have any technique. At least, none that I can tell.

Joined Sep 21, 2001
French Onion Soup is about taking common onions and making them into something spectacular, to elevate a humble ingredient into the star of the show.
The guy in the video hasn't figured that out yet.

Joined Dec 13, 2020
My Old Chef would smack me in the head if I got that result and called it French Onion Soup. the Cheese part look nice at the top, but the fact of soup is cloudy and texture look more like gravy than broth would eventually be so heavy for French Onion Soup. I remembered that I have to store the soup 1 night in a chiller so fat & oil get settle on surface and remove them before using for A la carte service. but I won't judge I am no French
My Old Chef recipe is this; White or Brown Onion cut same size not too thin then spread on a tray half air-dried set aside. Do the Consommé (always have in the kitchen) then with large soup pot adding Oil & Butter once start to get hot add Onion then sweat them with high heat, low down the fire and use slow heat sauté till brown but keep it shape, deglazed with Port wine reduce bit with low heat a dash of red wine vinegar, simmer then add the Consommé(cold) Simmer with a muslin clothe bag contain "Cloves, Star-Anise, white pepper corn, Bay leaf" and once got the Onion Soup we kept in blast chiller, Chill over night - next day remove all fat & Oil then can be use for A la Carte

Top Bottom