What's your latest food addiction?

Joined Oct 2, 2010
A few years ago there was an inventors competition on one of our TV channels. A women presented a paste made from "speculoos", a cinnamon cookie.

Immediately, the main producer of these cookies, Lotus Bakeries introduced the paste on the market.

I cannot believe how addictive this is. Aarrggghh, one small taste and I cannot stop eating this stuff!! Absolutely delicious and, compares to nothing else. It's now all the sudden very big business with a few competitors fighting in court over the right to produce the stuff..

What's your latest addiction?

.., this

You may know "speculoos" cookies in the US too, they are marketed under the brand Biscoff  . That's what this devil-ish paste is made off..

Joined Aug 7, 2009
Hot steaming instant noodles mixed with raw eggs and msg filled soup mix from the package.

Truly a beautiful sight to behold.

Last edited:
Joined Feb 26, 2007
Hot steaming instant noodles mixed with raw eggs and msg filled soup mix from the package.

Gotta agree with you there.  When the good ol' insomnia hits it's a sure cure.  No idea why it does, for me - it works. 

Joined Oct 15, 2010
Just discovered  coffee buns from Pappa Roti

They are so damn good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined Jan 8, 2010
Pho (the vietnamese soup)

Made it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and now I just keep getting a craving for it!

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Toast spread with marmite will do me fine!

Ishbel, Strike Marmite and insert Vegemite /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

Grilled Cheese on toast topped with dried oregano and smoky paprika does it for me at morning tea,

Joined Jan 6, 2011
Roasted cauliflower.  I've taken to eating a head or two of it every day.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/blushing.gif

Joined Feb 26, 2007

Gotta agree with you there.  When the good ol' insomnia hits it's a sure cure.  No idea why it does, for me - it works. 
All right Sunshine, I urgently need to know more about this cure! Is it just the noodles, or the recipe?
 Not sure Chris.  I guess it's similar to the feeling of hot milk and cookies at bed time.  I don't always do the egg.  I like to make a broth of water (just enough to cover the noodle "slab") to use for cooking the noodles in containing the spice packet/powder from the package, a dash of each of the following powdered spices:  Ginger, Coriander, Garlic, Chilli.  Heat this to boiling, add the noodles, turn heat down, then simmer it until all the liquid has gone.  You need to watch it carefully near the end so it doesn't stick to the pan.  Take it out straight away once the liquid's gone.  Now is the time to crack a raw egg into it if you don't have an issue with them, stir it around to coat the noodles  Add a goodly splash of fish sauce, a splash of soy.  Grab some chopsticks and munch it down.  Within 10 minutes I'm off with the fairies./img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

Joined Jul 30, 2007
maybe its the msg in the 'special seasoning packet' that makes you feel all fairy dusted! not a good thing in the end, though migos....sometimes its like a bad acid trip...be careful and read the ingredient label!

joey

Joined Mar 9, 2010
My brother-in-laws Olive Oil ; Imported from his family farm in Greece......  On and In everthing!  Addiction complete!    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

Joined May 17, 2010
PIZZA!

recently bought a pizza stone, peel and "american pie" by peter reinhart. haven't bought a delivery pizza in almost 3 months. 

make your own pizza. it's worth the effort.

Joined Feb 26, 2007
maybe its the msg in the 'special seasoning packet' that makes you feel all fairy dusted! not a good thing in the end, though migos....sometimes its like a bad acid trip...be careful and read the ingredient label!

joey
I think you've probably hit the nail on the head there.  It's probably only one or twice a month I do this.  However, don't forget there is msg occuring naturally in a variety of foods which are not processed.  Additives are worth looking out for, especially the "E" numbers.

There was a thread a while back involving people's thoughts on msg which if you can find it is surprisingly interesting on the pros and cons of msg.

I hope this link works, for anyone who is interested:

http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/thread/56294/msg  

Joined Apr 3, 2010
Toasted Assiago Cheese Bagels with a smear of home made fresh chive and scallion cream cheese.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
I bet the high carbs in the noodles has something to do with its soporific effect.

I guess I'm hooked on my breakfast, since I've been eating it for at least 2 years now: 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill extra thick rolled oats; tablespoon chopped walnuts, good sprinkling of raisins, about 1/2 teaspoon of Penzeys Vietnamese ground cinnamon. Just cover with boiling water and nuke, uncovered, 3-1/2 minutes. It's like an oatmeal raisin cookie every morning. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

Chris, I LOVE Biscoff the cookies!!! I may give in and buy the spread. I read that 57% of it is the cookie, but the rest is.... fat? Nuts? Will it stand up to baking if I try to use it in a recipe?

Mezz

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom