What's your latest food addiction?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chrisbelgium, Jan 29, 2011.

1. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A few years ago there was an inventors competition on one of our TV channels. A women presented a paste made from "speculoos", a cinnamon cookie.

Immediately, the main producer of these cookies, Lotus Bakeries introduced the paste on the market.

I cannot believe how addictive this is. Aarrggghh, one small taste and I cannot stop eating this stuff!! Absolutely delicious and, compares to nothing else. It's now all the sudden very big business with a few competitors fighting in court over the right to produce the stuff..

What's your latest addiction?

.., this[​IMG]

You may know "speculoos" cookies in the US too, they are marketed under the brand Biscoff  . That's what this devil-ish paste is made off..

[​IMG]

2. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
  3. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Beet kvas - delicious fermented beet juice

4. gnnairda

gnnairda

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hot steaming instant noodles mixed with raw eggs and msg filled soup mix from the package.

[​IMG]

Truly a beautiful sight to behold.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  5. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Gotta agree with you there.  When the good ol' insomnia hits it's a sure cure.  No idea why it does, for me - it works. 

6. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Toast spread with marmite will do me fine!

7. babytiger

babytiger

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Just discovered  coffee buns from Pappa Roti

They are so damn good!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2011
  8. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Pho (the vietnamese soup)

Made it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and now I just keep getting a craving for it!

9. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other

Ishbel, Strike Marmite and insert Vegemite /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

Grilled Cheese on toast topped with dried oregano and smoky paprika does it for me at morning tea,

10. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    All right Sunshine, I urgently need to know more about this cure! Is it just the noodles, or the recipe?

11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Fresh bread with salted butter and drizzled with honey.  I could live off this stuff lately.

12. shavy

shavy

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Roasted cauliflower.  I've taken to eating a head or two of it every day.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/blushing.gif

13. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
     Not sure Chris.  I guess it's similar to the feeling of hot milk and cookies at bed time.  I don't always do the egg.  I like to make a broth of water (just enough to cover the noodle "slab") to use for cooking the noodles in containing the spice packet/powder from the package, a dash of each of the following powdered spices:  Ginger, Coriander, Garlic, Chilli.  Heat this to boiling, add the noodles, turn heat down, then simmer it until all the liquid has gone.  You need to watch it carefully near the end so it doesn't stick to the pan.  Take it out straight away once the liquid's gone.  Now is the time to crack a raw egg into it if you don't have an issue with them, stir it around to coat the noodles  Add a goodly splash of fish sauce, a splash of soy.  Grab some chopsticks and munch it down.  Within 10 minutes I'm off with the fairies./img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

14. granny smith

granny smith

Exp:
    At home cook
    Toast with peanut butter, sliced bananas, and a sprinkle of curry powder.

15. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    maybe its the msg in the 'special seasoning packet' that makes you feel all fairy dusted! not a good thing in the end, though migos....sometimes its like a bad acid trip...be careful and read the ingredient label!

joey

16. gypsy2727

gypsy2727

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My brother-in-laws Olive Oil ; Imported from his family farm in Greece......  On and In everthing!  Addiction complete!    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

17. halmstad

halmstad

Exp:
    Line Cook
    PIZZA!

recently bought a pizza stone, peel and "american pie" by peter reinhart. haven't bought a delivery pizza in almost 3 months. 

make your own pizza. it's worth the effort.

abefroman likes this.
  18. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    I think you've probably hit the nail on the head there.  It's probably only one or twice a month I do this.  However, don't forget there is msg occuring naturally in a variety of foods which are not processed.  Additives are worth looking out for, especially the "E" numbers.

There was a thread a while back involving people's thoughts on msg which if you can find it is surprisingly interesting on the pros and cons of msg.

I hope this link works, for anyone who is interested:

http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/thread/56294/msg  

19. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Toasted Assiago Cheese Bagels with a smear of home made fresh chive and scallion cream cheese.

20. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I bet the high carbs in the noodles has something to do with its soporific effect. [​IMG]

I guess I'm hooked on my breakfast, since I've been eating it for at least 2 years now: 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill extra thick rolled oats; tablespoon chopped walnuts, good sprinkling of raisins, about 1/2 teaspoon of Penzeys Vietnamese ground cinnamon. Just cover with boiling water and nuke, uncovered, 3-1/2 minutes. It's like an oatmeal raisin cookie every morning. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

Chris, I LOVE Biscoff the cookies!!! I may give in and buy the spread. I read that 57% of it is the cookie, but the rest is.... fat? Nuts? Will it stand up to baking if I try to use it in a recipe?

Mezz

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011