Chef Forum banner

What's your impression of sous vide?

26K views 233 replies 44 participants last post by  marioowilson 
#1 ·
What's your impression of sous vide? Would you order meals that have been sous vide already that would be quicker to prepare/easy to heat up & eat?

#228 ·
For instance thick shoulder veal steaks are $2.99/lb this week - perfect for sous vide.  Lots of collagen to render out and some tough muscles to tender up.  This gives the opportunity to put a hard sear on them as opposed to just slow cooking them to death.  Big bonus here is you get pure flavor and collagen from the bag liquid and that is gold.

G
#229 ·
i have enjoyed this thread immensely, i came into it knowing just the basic understanding of the concept and now other than a list of times and temps im confident that i can sous vide anything 

though the finishing process timing of a few items may be a tricky thing to adjust to 

now to search for the Sous vide Horror story threads 

#230 ·
Just got my cow back from my butcher. The cow was raised on pasture along with a hint of mashed potatoes and gravy. We have our pigs on pasture and there was no way the cow would stand for them getting all the good food. We have a lot of produce processors in our area. We could get a call to pick up tons of broken pallet corn on the cob, french fries and so on. Needless to say the cow got plenty of fat while growing up on the farm. I expect to see some nice marbling in all of the meat. This is a Rump roast that I will Sous Vide on Sunday. The roast looks to be well marbled. I'm looking forward to seeing how to come out. I'll Sous vide the roast at 131 degree for about 14 to 16 hours...

#234 ·
I'm not sure, but I don't think so. It seems much newer here compared to Europe, which makes sense given it was invented there. For example, I think Europe has a lot more things in the freezer section of the grocery store that has been sous vide (based on what I've read), but the US doesn't really have much. I'm new to sous vide, so just trying to learn more about it. It's an interesting concept, but I wasn't sure how people who don't really know about sous vide would think of it.

Also can you sous vide almost anything and have it taste good (maybe with a bit of searing)? Like vegetables, etc. Can you do rice or pasta or risotto as well? I thought you might know given your experience

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.