What's your food success story?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by eastshores, Nov 16, 2014.

1. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Tell us about the time it all came together at a holiday.. the time you performed as sous chef and kicked butt.. or the time that you finally won over someone from Kraft Mac and Cheese..or the time you experimented and will never go back again. I want to hear your food success stories!

2. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    BBQ cater gig for 500 and my help didn't show, my bun order didn't show. I setup solo, made buns and baked them in the BBQ pit after I pulled pork butts and brisket off. Everything hit the serving line(thankfully the people I was catering for pitched in to help serve so I could cut meat as needed) on time and was a great hit. Served pulled pork, brisket, spare ribs, slaw, potato salad, baked beans, buns and every last bit was homemade and done on site. After tear down I crawled in the back of the van on top of the gear boxes and slept for 8 hours before hitting the road for the 150 mile trip home. I had been up for 32 hours before it was all said and done.

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Back in the 70s there was the great East Coast black  out .lasted about 16 hours  longer in some places. 1000 guest in he ballroom, Prime rib of beef dinner, No lights lucky for us gas ovens and stoves.  Elevators and escalators out. We put 5 arm candleabras on each table . Served the mea,l no pa system so no speeches could be heard. Guest departed down staircases to the street with waiters holding candles and flashlights on each landing. I was amazed it went good and we got paid.

4. spoiledbroth

spoiledbroth

Exp:
    Line Cook
    holy hell that's amazing. :eek: