What's Your Favourite Restaurant?

Joined Sep 29, 2009
I'll have meat sweats for hours and olive/garlic breath for a week but it will be so worth it. Great sandwich and she give a good back rub.:lol:

Joined Dec 26, 2009
Well, I can't say I'm well versed on high end dining, but my visit to Gordon Ramsay's Maze in NY city was wonderful. I would have to say that the lobster bisque was the best thing I'd ever tasted in my life. One of the servings was definitely not to my likings, the diver scallops with chorizo, but the rest was pretty darned good. I would have to say I'd enjoy going back. I love his recipes as they are fairly easy to make and I love the fact they can make me, a home cook - at best, look like I know what I'm doing. Much like many other cooks, but I like his food pairings the most, as of yet. Maybe it's just my newbie-ness, but I guess you have to find someone to follow and he's the guy I do right now. Julia Child's recipes never seem to get old either.

Anyways, The Maze was wonderful and at around $250ish (We didn't dine in the highest of the three retaurants you could there due to having our youngin with us) I'd go there again in a heartbeat.

-Brian

Joined Aug 7, 2008
One favorite? No way. :lol:

Montreal- Queue de Cheval, The biggest indoor charcoal grill ever. Killer dry aged steak.

Maine- The White Barn Inn-True five star service. I also like Redds Eats for a lobstah roll in wiscasset but you have to wait in a looooooong line. It's worth it.

Hawaii- Merrimans in Waimea.

Vegas-Charlie Palmers Aureole

Chicago- Alinea or Frontera.

Nawhlens- Acme oyster house

Nassau- Graycliff

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Acme is still around? wow, I used to take the street car from Broadway/St. Charles (Dominican) up to Canal to grab bienville and rockerfellers at Acme....circa 1976.

Joined Jun 5, 2010
Hello dear

I am India. Generally we Indian like to eat masala item. So I prefer the restaurant where I can eat a bit of masala item. When I make my own food I specially purchase the item from http://www.ozrot.co.il. This is a online facilities option and I get my all stuff from here.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Mine is The B-Spot in the Cleveland, Ohio suburbs. Burgers cooked to perfection, the best garlic & parm wings you've ever tasted, and grown up milkshakes with hand dipped ice cream and liquor. (Vanilla Bean with Kahlua and vodka)

What's not to love about burgers and shakes?

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Favorite restaurant?  Depends for what.  When I want a bit of masala item, I lean towards The Great Ashoka in Artesia -- especially for it's goat vindaloo.

Today, I met a couple of friends, both of whom are professional chefs at high-end restaurants, at an incredibly good Chinese restaurant which specializes in dumplings and hand made noodles called Dumpling Master.

Dumpling Master is a humble, country style place located in a strip mall behind Shun Fat (a Chinese supermarket) in Monterey Park.  It's not exactly regional but it isn't exactly not, either -- sort of HK mixed with general Guangzhou.  We had steamed fish and leek dumplings; kuoh tieh (pot stickers); xiao long bao (soup dumplings) -- 1 order with pork only, the other with pork, sea cucumber, and crab; pork and potherb tong (soup) with hand made noodles; scallion pancackes; beef tripe in spicy sauce (dried szechuan peppers and fresh jalapenos); and fried bread for dessert.  Everything was incredibly good.  It's my favorite place for many of those things, but I have to day today's tripe was certainly among the two or three best tripe dishes I've ever eaten. 

About three weeks ago Linda and I took my dad and his girlfriend Fonye out for brunc.  We ate at the The Duck House Restaurant, just a few blocks south of  Dumpling Master on Atlantic Blvd., also in Monterey Park.  They specialize in "duck, three ways," a sort of Taiwanese interpretation of Peking duck served with duck soup, and whatever meat was left to be picked sauteed with (very, very) fresh sprouts.  We had that along with rice fried with eggs and (Chinese) sausage; cold winter-melon salad; eggplant; pork belly,   Good?  Are you kidding?  Sublime. 

And that's only a couple of our favorite Chinese places.  So, which is more of a favorite?  Couldn't choose.  Just glad I don't hafta and you can't make me.

BDL

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2010
Too many to list, but...

For comfort food, it's Paul Kee for affordable and delicious authentic chinese food.

Fine dining, 1789 made a nice impression; warm atmosphere, great service, and some nice eats (only reason I had a chance to go here was for my birthday dinner /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Chef,

You wrote,
For comfort food, it's Paul Kee for affordable and delicious authentic chinese food.
Just as "authentic American food" would, "authentic... Chinese food" covers too much ground to give us an idea of what you like or what they serve.  Could you nail it down a little for us?

BDL

Last edited:
Joined Jul 30, 2007
my best foods ever eaten were from street food carts, either in mexico or the caribbean, or a simple just caught lobster, grilled, on the beach...don't think i've actually been to a really really,really high end fancy pants restaurant that blew my taste buds away as much those simple tastes ...grew up in d.c, with lots of high end stuff, but guess i just really never acquired a taste for that stuff...at that time, french cooking was the norm...a family friend owned a spanish restaurant in baltimore...father was francos personal chef, so i was always around his food...jesus, my mouth still can taste his paella after all these years

joey

Last edited:
Joined Jan 5, 2007
At the moment, my favourite is The Kitchin, a michelin-starred place run by Tom Kitchin, in Leith.

His food is sublime - he worked with some of the best chefs in Europe before opening his own restaurant.  Here's his website - he is the young man on the right on the opening page.

http://www.thekitchin.com/kitchin/home

PS, Yes, Kitchen with two 'I'!

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2010
Alinea, Jean Georges, Momofufku is just plain fun

I saw New Orleans mentioned I love Cochon but Galatoire's lunch is always the first stop for the vibe of the city and the locals

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I don't have that many anymore a lot have gone down hill but here are the true gems in my area.

for dinner in Nevada City you can't beat http://www.thenewmooncafe.com/

fresh ,local and handmade

for lunch and dinner Mexican food: http://www.mariasmexicantacos.com/

Maria herself is awesome and her food is great. anyone coming up I-80 through Auburn to Reno should stop and feast.

Best Breakfast place around here is small, cramped, crowded and has a line that makes me not eat there anymore, but if your stubborn and really want the best here it is : http://maps.google.com/maps/place?h...48277062535353020&pcsi=15448277062535353020,1

they don't have a website, don't really need it.

I will eat at a few other places around here but am always a bit sad about it. I have tried the new Thai place that opened up in my old Japanese restaurants  place and will say I really enjoyed my meal. I have only eaten there once though so won't put it on my list .....yet.

Joined Jul 13, 2010
Just as "authentic American food" would, "authentic... Chinese food" covers too much ground to give us an idea of what you like or what they serve.  Could you nail it down a little for us?
Yeah I guess you're right, sometimes I like to be vague so people can use their imaginations /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif  My personal favorites are baby clams in black bean sauce, deep fried spicy shrimp in shell (with heads on so you can suck the yummy goodness out of them), and beef chow foon (wide rice noodles with beef and vegetables in a brown sauce) which is actually a common dish, but the way they cook it is unmatched. Some other unique items I can remember are pig knuckle, jellyfish, and duck blood. The place also has whole roasted pigs and ducks hanging in a window right next to the kitchen. Not your ideal 'romantic' eating spot, and maybe some people have gotten squeamish reading parts of this post, but this place has been open since I was a kid, and 30 some years later they're still in business and serving some damn good food /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Joined Jul 24, 2009
I have two place i love

Au Pied de Cochon in Montreal, although I have only been there once. 

Four words: Poutine au Foie Gras

Also the service there is fantastic. The servers have ESP or something. 

The other place is The Orient in Windsor, Ontario. 

Chef "Ken" makes the best authentic Chinese food i have ever had. You just have to makes sure to ask for the Chinese menu, not the white people menu. I don't know what he does to the spicy garlic sea food platter, but it is wonderful.

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Again with the "authentic Chinese food" thing.  What does that mean? 

Please don't misunderstand.  I'm not trying to make a point at your or anyone else's expense.  I'm truly interested in what you like.  Otherwise, I wouldn't be reading the thread. 

For that matter, I'm also interested in how people distinguish authentic from inauthentic Chinese food.

BDL

Joined Jul 24, 2009
Well BDL,

I guess "authentic" is a pretty subjective thing. All I can tell you is that we have a pretty good size Chinese population in Windsor, and there are places that those Chinese people eat that serve Chinese food and then there are places that white people go to eat Chinese food. As far as what constitutes authentic, in my opinion and in this case anyway, is the food that actual Chinese people order from other actual Chinese people. 

Granted that I have yet to go to China, I have to say though that when i look through my copy of Martin Yan's China, I have yet to see sweet and sour chicken balls, or egg rolls that look anything like the ones from almost any Chinese place I have ever been. 

I am a relative rookie to all things Culinary, but I like the fact that anything that I have tried at the Orient has a much greater depth of flavour. The dishes have subtly and exhibit flavours that are in balance. Most Chinese restaurants that cater to the masses (as well as a lot of western style places) seem to simply pack on the ultra sweet super thick sauce and call it a day. Don't get me wrong, The Orient's core business is blue collar workers rather than foodie's or chefs, so they do have a menu that has the good old stand-bys like won-ton soup and beef and broccoli. 

I haven't been there in over a year, now that I live in Michigan rather than Ontario, so I don't have a menu to reference but the Spicy Garlic seafood platter, the honey beef and the scallion chicken are great. Not to mention the hot and sour soup, it is quite possibly one of the best things I have ever eaten now that I am thinking about it. 

Latest posts

Top Bottom