What's your Favorite?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cape chef, Feb 9, 2001.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What's everyones favorite seafood,And how do you like to prepare it?
    I love Diver scallops from maine, fresh North carilina shrimp...rare charred tuna.
    I love black bass,stripped bass,monk fish and snapper. And being from new England I enjoy Lobsters,Chathom cod and flounder to.
    What do you guys like?
    cc

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Well oysters on the half shell will always be #1, but I also love swordfish on the grill with olive oil, s+p. Just a second tto long on the grill, though, and it's like sawdust. Lobster, simply steamed, or in a salad, in nice big chunks, with celery and mild radish. And skate. I wish more places sold it.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I forgot about skate wings...They really are good. I like them crisp sauteed with Brown butter and caper's
    cc

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'm with Dick: I love lobster, too. We were in Maine in July and I ate one every day. My last meal there was a double lobster dinner- just lobster and lots of butter. I follow a low carb diet, so it was perfectly on plan for me! I cheated by eating fried clams and washing them down with a glass of Sebago beer. Mmmmmm... a lovely summer memory.

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Mezz,

You just brought back a memory for me.
    The first time my wife and I went to the Cape we went to the Eastham Lobster pool we sat down and each had there "lobster in the ruff" Dinner,You no CHOWDER,Steamers,corn,cole slaw,boiled red potatoes and a big red Lobby lob!!!That's what we call them :)Well I ordered some chardonnay and we cracked and dipped and slurped our way through a true New Enland Dinner.We never turned back. Now we go once or twice each summer to the Lobster pool. I can't wait till july.
    I also love Chilian sea bass...But unfortunatly it is being over fished and what we are seeing in the markets is not the real deal...it is a black speckled bass,quite a bit larger then the Sea bass that we became acustmed to a few years back, although it is very good in it's own right,it does not have the same depth of flavor. But it is a great neutral fish.
    If any of our friends from Plitt can help with this clarification that would be great.
    You know what else I love? A big plate of fried Calamari fri Diovlo with an icy cold one
    cc
    PS. Dick I think the reason you are not seeing it on the menu's as much is because it's just not availible...so the speckled bass as good as it is cannot be called Chilian

[ 02-09-2001: Message edited by: cape chef ]

6. isa

isa

My favourite without hesitation is lobster. I'll do just about anything for a lobster. When I was a kid, because I was always sick during car ride, whenever the family had to go out of town for the day, my dad would say if you're nice and stay at your friend's house I'll get you a lobster tommorow. It worked everytime.

Everytime I have lobster with my dad, once or twice every summer, he likes to remind me that when I was two I could eat a lobster on my own, without help to craw the shell. I still have trouble believing that it's true, but my dad loves to say this to anyone who'll listen.

7. seattledeb

seattledeb

Dungeness Crab, plain and simple.

8. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Seattle I'm from the east and I have used dungeness crab only a couple times, But when I was in San fran last year with my wife we went to fishermans wharf and just walked around taking in the sights. It seemed like everywhere we went they had little portions of the delicasy to buy and enjoy as you walked. Well Jill and I sucked down as many as we could buy. It really is an incredible flavor...so sweet
    cc

9. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Crudeau,

theres always room for those tasty morsels
    cc

10. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I never understood the attraction to Dungeness crabs. I had them only once, while vacationing in Washington, and the texture was just too flaky and dry.

11. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's why I like them!!! they remind me of me...Flaky and dry :)
    Hey Momo, the few times I have had those little crustacions I really loved em!!

maybe the time you had them they where over cooked?
    cc

12. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Actually, now that I think of it, we also brought some home and cooked it, but I still didn't like it. Gefilte fish, on the other hand....

13. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    hey, I love gefilte fish!! :)
    With a little beet horseradish I'm content.

14. isa

isa

Crudeau,

You and your friend are both wrong. The best lobsters come from Iles de la Madeleine. ;)

15. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think the Lobsters from Maine and eastern Canada are kissing cousins
    cc

16. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Gefilte fish... that reminds me of a story. (Since I spent time on un-kosher fish, now I'll talk about kosher fish.) When I was about 9, my mom took me to the home of my grandmother's friend to help her make her Passover batch of gefilte fish. The elderly lady was as strong as an ox, and never did anything less than full throttle. When I arrived that morning she had three huge fish from the Mississippi River, which flowed past my hometown. They were buffalo and carp, so you can guess how tasty they'd be considered to those with refined palates! She taught me how to scale and filet the fish, and put me to work turning the crank on the old food grinder. She seasoned the fish, formed dumplings, and cooked them in huge soup pots on her stove. What seemed like hours later, my mom came to pick me up. I left with fish scales in my hair and smelled so bad that she drove home with all the windows open. My clothes got two washings. But boy, she'd worked magic with those trash fish, because the gefilte fish she sent home with me were ambrosial. Wish I'd paid attention to her seasoning!

[ 02-10-2001: Message edited by: Mezzaluna ]

17. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I agree, homemade gefilte can be good. Much better than the jarred.

18. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Crudeau,

Very cool site , Thanks
    cc

19. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Those sound about right, Crudeau. Thanks! BTW, 'gefilte' means 'stuffed'. I heard that the name came from the practice, at one time, of stuffing fish skin with the filling described, then poaching- sort of like stuffed cabbage, only with fish skin (doesn't THAT sound appetizing?? :eek: ) But this may be totally apocryphal.

20. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    hah!