What's your favorite type of chocolate for eating and why ?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by gbaxter, Aug 1, 2005.

1. gbaxter

gbaxter

What’s currently your favorite type of chocolate (for consuming, not so much for cooking with) and please say why, be it something that’s commercially mass produced, or a more expensive gourmet variety you love, despite it costing more, or something you might even make yourself.

2. pierre

pierre

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    my ex used to make chocolate truffles with a tiny pinch of ceyenne pepper mixed in. those were OUTSTANDING! nowdays, my favorites are truffles from Teuscher and chocolates from Recchiuti here in the bay area.

3. chefoncall

chefoncall

I like those Pistoles. I am sure you have seen them. They come in the 5# boxes all Pastry Chef's have them in there shop. Small chips bigger than what the Nestle company makes.

4. liv4fud

liv4fud

big fan of dark choclate with nuts - hersheys nuggets are the only one I have found being mass produced

5. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    any. whatever is available. from hershey's to trader joe's........

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Lake Forest has choc. covered fresh raspberries in the month of July...ummmm
    I mix it up, Valrohna pistolles....scharffen berger bars....butterfinger crips....
    there are probably 40 different varities in my choc. stash. I do not care for the funky new age herbal bars with "health" benefits and weird addins.
    Bitter choc with orange ranks pretty high on my list.
    Whole Foods 365 truffles are pretty great too....interestingly Trader Joe's are not.

7. ricib

ricib

If I'm "casually" eating a chocolate product, I prefer Milk Chocolate.

If I'm making them for everyone else, a secret mixture.

8. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I like Scharffenbarger's dark bar with cocoa nibs if I'm in the mood for a treat. I enjoy Dove dark (but not milk), too. I love caramel and nuts in chocolate, but find most of the commercial brands to be too sweet or chemical-tasting (Nestle's milk chocolate is one).

One of these days I'd like to go to Vosges Chocolate in Chicago. Ever since I heard about their combination of spices like curry and paprika with chocolate, I've been intrigued. :lips:

9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Whole Foods carries some of Vosage bars...the cinnamon/chili one is good the wasabi one is not high on my list. I've had a couple of their truffles and they are FINE. Some of the combos are alittle too far out there.....

10. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    ****, give me any type of chocolate and Im a happy guy! From Hershey's Milk Choc. bars to chunks of Callebaut bittersweet cut right off the block. Though my true choc. loves are my unbearablly rich hot chocolate and my choc. ice cream made with a mixture of cocoa powder, bittersweet choc. and milk choc.

11. krokodyle

krokodyle

I really like the Scharffenbarger line of darks, though the recent selling of the company makes me cringe...

I use a lot of Mexican chocolate for different things, but I couldn't tell you the name, I only recognize the label. :D

12. porkchops

porkchops

Baskin Robbins has a flavor called World Class Chocolate.. it's a blend of White chocolate, milk chocolate and dark chocolate ice cream.. (or maybe the dark part is just swirls of fudge, I forget). It's heavenly. Makes a great milk shake, too.

Other than that.. I'm a fan of chocolate and peanut butter together. Be it a fancy blend, or just a reeses peanut butter cup.

I love a little sweet and salt together.

--P

13. headless chicken

headless chicken

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Having a mother working for Nestle and currently working for them too, milk chocolate or even chocolate in general isn't very high on my list of indulgences. But I enjoy any dark chocolate in just about anything from it's block form to truffles to mousse cakes. I enjoy making eclairs either drizzled or topped with tempered couveture and filled with pastry cream flavored with the same chocolate.

14. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I usually get a dark truffle bar from Trader Joe's. I'm usually particular about my chocolate, I don't care for ANY milk in my chocolate. I want the dark stuff, with a little vanilla in it. Usually 71-73% is good for me.

15. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I worked there in high school. I think it's just white and dark chocolate, but ****. It's made with milk, right? However, there are far too many ingredients to be sure....

I remember I had to make an ice cream pie with world class chocolate. I loaded it up with the darker part of the ice cream because it was a little short on the white chocolate. I put a little white on top so it looked good, and then they called me back and bitched me out that there wasn't any white chocolate. I'll remember that forever.. Oh the many tales of Baskin Robbins. Once the front door glass shattered into the store, and I was the only one there. People walked OVER the glass with their kids to get some ice cream so I couldn't clean it up. Bastards.

Gold Medal ribbon was the best.

16. chinds85

chinds85

I love dark chocolate. No special kind. No filling. Just pllaaaainnn dark chocolate. I think that "sweet candy" stuff is for sissies. Give me BITTER highly concentrated chocolate.

17. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    If I had unlimited $$$$$, for plain chocolate I'd mainly go with Scharffenberger, the darker the better. Or a Russian brand I've only tasted at food shows, which is very smooth and very rich. Or if I wanted bonbons, Chocolat Moderne, which has some really great fillings and flavors.

But for everyday, I find that bars of Perugina Bittersweet are just fine.

18. nick.shu

nick.shu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    sometimes lindt but definitely the callebault retail lines - so smooth.

19. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'd still love to experience some of the worlds better chocolates.

My favorite bar so far? Lindt

We have a Polish grocery store that I drive to sometimes...and they have a decent selection of imported foods...including imported chocolates.

They've also got some nice sausages. But my favorite is their beef, pork, chicken, lamb and veal. They've got a good selection of different lamb and veal cuts(and bones) throughout the year.

dan

20. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Ijust read that Scharffen burger has been sold....it'll be interesting to see if the quality is maintained.