What's your favorite Spirit?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pete, Mar 5, 2003.

1. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Here is a question that hasn't been posed in quite awhile-if ever. What is your favorite spirit (hard liquor)? I am a die-hard bourbon fan. I prefer American Whiskeys in general compared to Canadian, Irish and Scotch. And of the American Whiskeys, Bourbon is king, in my book. I would even choose a high-end bourbon over most Single malts any day. My favorites right now are Woodridge, Basil Hayden, and Blanton's, though Maker's will work in a pinch.

Not only is it a great drinking beverage anytime of year (an ice cold Mint Julep in Summer, or used to spike Spiced Cider in Winter), it is a wonderful tool for cooking. I oftentimes find myself substituting Bourbon for brandy or cognac in many dishes, as their flavor profiles can be similar when used as a reduction. I find it helps to accent the sweetness of carrots or carmelized onions in a sauce, accents the sweetness of cream when using cream to finish a brown sauce, and accents the smokiness of sauces that incorporate smoked vegetables or bones into them. It also makes a wonderful marinade for pork when combined with other ingredients such as pineapple or mustard and makes a wonderful addition to any caramel sauce.

So as you can see, bourbon, IMHO, is a wonderful, all-around beverage. Great anytime of the year, and crosses over well into cooking. So what is your favorite hard liquor?

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Pete,

There was a time that I really enjoyed Bourbon. "Makers Mark was my choice"

I do agree that Bourbon translates very well into cooking.

But most know I like my Ketal One,straight up with a couple olives.:lips:

3. ironchefatl

ironchefatl

Exp:
    Other
    Maybe not a whiskey connoisseur's choice, but I really like Southern Comfort. I love So Co and coke. The odd thing is that I have never been a big anise type flavor fan. Black jelly beans disgust me. I use it alot in cooking also. The sweet anise flavor was real staying power when cooked. I use a soy sauce based fajita marinade w/ So Co. So Co and Tabasco have the most incredible smell together when used in a marinade. High end I made a So Co and molasses glazed lamb loin. Coated the lamb in plenty of fresh cracked pepper. Served with garlic cheese grits, and suateed spinach. If you have never used it in cooking before I would suggest playing around with it. Drambuie also makes an excellent cream/ demi. Shallot, bacon, Drambuie, cream, and touch of Demi is pretty good for a peppercorn crusted steak.

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    CC, Im surprised. I had you more pegged for an old school Gin man. At least where Martinis were concerned.

5. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ahhhh nice thread! :)

I am for the single malts :) Lately, I drink Oban with a couple drops of cold water ,although normally I am Lagavulin believer... I think that I will go to Laphroaig next.

I love the earthy aftertaste and they match perfectly my cigarettes( in case I haven't mentioned it I started up smoking again)

I'd love though that someone introduced me to Bourbons, althought I find them too sweet. I read Pete's posts about the use of bourbon in cooking with great interest.

I think that whiskey is the only hard spirit I drink. I used to drink vodka but not anymore. The older I grow the more traditional I become.

6. fodigger

fodigger

As with Pete, nothing quite fills the bill as well as a good bourbon. Jim Beam Single Vintage, Jack Danials Single Barrel, Knob Creek, Makers Mark and crown royal in in pinch.

7. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Either an old ruby port or a screwdriver made with either Absolute or Smirnoff Silver Label and fresh squeezed oranges.

8. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Glemorangie 10 year is my "maintainance Scotch", but there are a few more I snack on regularly.

9. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Well, I like Scotch, Scotch or Scotch. If there isn't any Scotch, I will settle for the Scotch instead. The fact that I'm Scottish is completely immaterial ;)
    I used to say, there is no such thing as a bad Scotch, only degrees of good! But actually, some blended Scotches at the lower end of the spectrum with a higher percentage of wheat grain are pretty bad.
    A few years ago while driving in the highlands near Inverness, I came upon this small distillery at a place called Loch Ord. The single malt they make there is marketed as Glen Ord and is without doubt the very best I have tasted. But then there are about 250 kinds of Scotch and I haven't tasted them all - yet :)

Jock

10. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Jock. I think you made yourself perfectly clear:D

Let me take down this single malt...

11. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The "best" Scotch I have bought was 18 year Glenmorangie Rare. Close behind was The Glenlivet 21 year old. The bottle I bought last week was a bottle of 1981 Balvenie Single Barrel, also good. A friend of mine and another Scotchophile likes the earthy- smokey Scotches like The McCallan and Glenronach, and thinks my taste for Balvenie is because it is sweet and "approachable".....
    And blends? I won't buy one but I have had a few bought for me. Living out in the wilderness my strategy is to bring my own, or if I do go to a rural bar my standby is equally Redneck- a shot of Jaegermeister with a beer back.