What's your favorite kind of pie?

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
So just a simple, little, fun question for everyone out there. What is your favorite kind of pie?

For me it would either be rhubarb (just straight rhubarb-no strawberries, etc.) or Shoo Fly. What's yours?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Apple.

But any berry pie follows, as does any custard or “nut and caramel” pie.

Don’t like cream pies or pumpkin/squash pies though.

Joined Apr 11, 2018
I'm way more into savory than sweet so I don't bake or eat pies much. But this one pie I've been making the past couple of years, it's not too sweet and quite agreeable. It's a French Pumpkin Pie recipe from Guy Savoy that I found here:

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/French-Pumpkin-Pie

There's a farm not too far away that does a big pumpkin patch event every October. They grow a wide variety of pumpkins and some other squash, better values than the grocery store. Our main pumpkin that gets carved into a jack-o-lantern, other than roasting its seeds it gets trashed after Halloween. But some of the others I buy don't get carved and last longer through fall into winter, get used for cooking (turban squash stuffed with beef and rice is excellent).

My haul will typically include a Cinderella pumpkin and I use it in the above recipe for Thanksgiving dessert. Instead of a tart ring I use a cast iron skillet in the oven. It's been a hit every time.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Peach, single crust, with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Apple.

But any berry pie follows, as does any custard or “nut and caramel” pie.

Don’t like cream pies or pumpkin/squash pies though.

Honestly, there aren't many pies that I don't like, although I definitely have my favorites, and only a few that I really, really don't care for. As a kid, I loved Raspberry pie, but we made with foraged black raspberries. Sure it was very seedy, but the depth of flavor was awesome. Since then, most raspberry pies have disappointed me, although I still search for one to measure up, and I've come across a few decent ones. Cream pies I can "give or take" although a well made Coconut Cream pie is right up my alley. When it comes to Pumpkin pie, it's one of things that I crave from Halloween to Thanksgiving and I'll make a couple during that time, but by Thanksgiving I am done with them until the next year.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I’m not really a pie person but there are very few things that can beat a slice of warm apple pie buried under a proper custard.

I would rather go hungry than eat key like pie or some kind of fruit pie, just not for me. Chicken pot pie is major comfort food but I haven’t figured out how to make a gluten free version. Right now I have to focus on finding a good gf pumpkin pie in time for T-day.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Pete we grow our own Rhubarb so a Strawberry Rhubarb is always a favorite with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. My wife also makes a real good pumpkin. For me it's not so much the filling I think it's all about the homemede crust. I don't think there is a filling I don't like.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I'm partial to a good sweet potato pie, but for apple nothing beats a Norther Spy IMHO.

Then there is steak and kidney pie, spanakopita, etc, etc.

koukouvagia koukouvagia - for things like quiche, etc. I butter then dust the pie plate with bread crumbs, but you could use gluten free bread crumbs. There are also GF "paleo" pastry crust recipes out there that I haven't tried . . . yet.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
My daughter has made a lemon buttermilk chess pie that was excellent as well. It's in New Southern Baking by Damon Lee Fowler.

Joined Sep 26, 2017
Steak, kidney, and cheese pie. Best flavour combination ever.

I like every kind of pie, but if I had to choose just one...

Joined Dec 30, 2015
Recently discovered cream cheese and butter pie crusts. Very nice and flaky! Have only tried with fruit fillings, but will probably work with anything.

Top Bottom