What's the one thing you would never eat, even for money?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by homemadecook, Apr 12, 2010.

1. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Shroom,

I agree with everything you said. One more cheese I will add to that list is "Casu Marzu"....It might be still banned but even if I could , there would not be enough money to make me eat it........oh just the thought ......has me in knots....

pied de cochon ? why yes,  cooked in pickling spices with molasses.....

2. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I've never had the opportunity to try "maggot cheese."  It certainly does sound repulsive.  Otherwise, I eat most of the other stuff pretty regularly.  For instance, "chipulinas" as an accompaniment to mezcal.

At some point, many of us made the decision not to let our cultural prejudices control our palates.  If other people eat and like something, we're willing to give it a try.  My personal response is almost always positive when I do.

Plus, let's be frank.  It's can be a lot of fun to gross other people out.

For me the real turn-off is poorly prepared food. 

Vivan gusanos!  Gusanos vivan!
    BDL

3. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    the Casu Marzu and "maggot cheese" are the same cheese. Saw it on the Fword. It's banned because if you don't chew all the maggots they sometimes live long enough in your belly that they have eaten themselves free and cause internal bleeding at best.. no, thank you.

BDL have you really eaten a Balut? If so, that's extremely awesome, I just don't think I could control my gagging after I bit into it. The new asian market I go to has them, I just stare at them in fear and awe of people that can eat them.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  4. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Balut
    Force fed Foie (I'd try natural)
    Uggh-maggot cheese
    Dog
    Cat
    Monkey
    Durian - as an aside, they are banned from being taken on the tube trains in Singapore.

Insects -maybe

5. ferryman

ferryman

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Having eaten luxury Chinese foods such as shark fin, bear paw, etc. on a regular basis as a child, I personally will not eat any of these things today.  I have explained the ecological issues of the consumption of foods of this type with my parents and they both honored with my decision.  This decision still shapes the way I look at exotic food.

6. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Forgot about sharks fin....saw footage once of the poor things being chucked back - alive - after their fins had been cut off.
    Not on my menu either.

If an animal is not  humanely raised (ok doesn't apply to sharks) and humanely killed and fully utilised -count me out

7. charron

charron

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Fully utilized.  That is a phrase I can embrace whole heartedly.

BDL, if your joy includes grossing people out it would have been fun to have your in our mess hall back in the day.  I can't remember why (unless it was purely to be gross) but we used to pass a bowl around the table at supper.  Each person was required to take a bite of supper, get it well chewed, and then spit it into the bowl.  Either the newest person, or whomever had wagered, would be required to eat the bowl clean.  Really, if you disregarded the cooking talent of the mess hall, it wasn't so bad a thing.... and yet...

8. giraffic

giraffic

Exp:
    Other
     I would so eat it, their born and eat only the cheese so what they poop out is nothing but cheese. The big deterrent and why it's illegal in some places is because some maggots are still alive after you chew and they bore into the digestive track.

9. gerdosh

gerdosh

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Yes, durian smell is totally disgusting. But I used to live in Sri Lanka where in durian season we had them often. You have to eat them outside on your patio. The taste is wonderful, you just have to hold your nose not to smell them.
    They were banned from hotels and all public eateries.

10. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I opened a package of durian cookies in the car once and actually rolled down the window and threw them out. 
    flash forward 4-5 years and there's durian sliced in a local grocery store....I sniff it through the plastic and am seriously physically ill for 3-4 hours.  Total wipe out.

Don't need to learn that lesson again.

11. homemadecook

homemadecook

Exp:
    Cook At Home
     Yeah I know about that too, I have Filipino friends and they introduced me to that steamed egg with baby chick in it..and I didn't dare try to eat it as well. That was gross. But I heard it was good, I just don't wanna try it.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I went to Australia for a year and a friend got me to try an ant (actually only it's rear end ) and it was really very nice, almost like a strong citrus sweet. They're called Green ants and the aborigenes crush them and use the juice to marinate fish.
      Personaly I think that if you eat meat you should be prepared to eat something that doesn't just come straight out of Tesco's, there is nothing like the tast of free range chicken from a friends farm, or a tin of paté straight from the guy who made it.

13. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    vegemite....once was more than enough

14. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I think that Vegemite is a bit like the British version, Marmite - it's a love or loathe thing...  I love it!

15. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    ok marmite too....and well following right behind nutritional yeast.  whoever thought that putting nut. yeast on popcorn was looney.

16. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Sorry, Shroom - I'm a real Marmite lover - but have to confess, I'd never thought of adding it to popcorn....  blech...

17. gerdosh

gerdosh

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Here we go, ladies and gentlemen, termites from Uganda--they taste better than they look.
    [​IMG]

18. jessiquina

jessiquina

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    yeah, im with you! thats just nasty to me.

19. chefray

chefray

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've eaten all of that except for dog.  From what I understand, it's greasy so I probably wouldn't like it on that merit.  The cat was a predatory wild cat of some sort while on a mission trip when I was younger.  Monkey is horrid, far too gamey and stringy.  Durian, if you can get past the rotten meat smell, tastes like strong vanilla custard.  The trick, either grow up eating it so you are used to it or eat it with the flu.  Maggot cheese, it tastes like Peccorino that moves when you bite it.  Never again.  Force fed foi grois isn't far enough superior in flavor or texture, compared to naturally gorged wild duck, to constitute the method.  Balut, once you get past the fact that it's a whole duck, beak, feet, and all, isn't bad.  It tastes like undercooked, well, duck and soft poached egg.

As for the bugs, honey pot ants are really good, scorpion tastes a little like lobster, and termites taste almost like almonds when roasted.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  20. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Have heard the phrase about Durian - "Taste like Heaven, smells like H e l l "

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010