Whats the difference between normal pigs, hogs, and wild boars?

Joined Jun 27, 2017
So for birds it seems like turkey has a more "gamey" taste than chicken especially when you're eating it pure. Is the same true for hogs and wild boars? Are they the same thing and what are the best ways to cook each. I've only had hog BBQ'd with the meat I'm assuming separated (had it when i was a kid), and I eat regular pig pork every couple of days usually sear + oven cuts of tenderloin or lone porkchops.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
A farm hog and a wild boar are two completely different animals, add on top of that the way they are raised, environment/region, diet, ect., and you will have many variables on flavor.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Boar is a male, Sow is a female. Commercial pigs are captive raised, pastured pigs are more free range. Wild, or Feral swine are just that they forage, are omnivorous and the meat must be cooked to 160F. Absolutely delicious if they are foraging in the right locale like any other game meat. If you can get feral swine locally try it if not D'Artagnan sells it on their website.

Last edited:
Joined May 5, 2010
Way back when explorers first came to North America, they brought pigs with them to raise and eat.
These hogs were allowed to procreate to such a degree that when the explorers left, they did not take these hogs with them. These hogs became feral. Boars with tusks are a completely different species of pig

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Beware of trying to figure out a generalization of the difference in taste between pork meat and boar meat from second hand accounts and without actually experiencing it yourself. I've raised and butchered my own pigs, and I have tasted many different types of boar meat, and I can tell you that the difference in taste from one pig to the other or from one boar to the other is rather large itself. You'll find some pigs that will yield better tasting meat than the bland, industrially sourced boar meat. Pork meat from a pig that wasn't bled thoroughly (this happens when trying to kill them humanely) will be much more gamey. The blood inside the meat contributes to the gamey taste.

There's also the issue of boar taint (boar can refer to uncastrated pigs): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boar_taint

Then there's the issue of boar-pig hybrids: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boar–pig_hybrid

So just talking about "pig" or "boar" rarely tells the whole story about the meat you're going to eat.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Bacon is made from castrated pigs. I make my own bacon and occasionally I'll end up with some "boar taint" in my finished product, from an uncastrated pig. It's a flavor that is very "off" and I get my money back from the vendor or he'll replace the belly with a fresh one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom