What's the deal with SLOW FOOD?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chefclaycollins, Jul 27, 2002.

1. chefclaycollins

chefclaycollins

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I was just checking out the website and was curious what you guys think? Is there many members on the west coast? Is it worth joining?

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Since we are back on the topic of "Slow Food" does anyone know if the chapter in Wisconsin is still active? There is (was?) one based in Madison. I tried to contact the person there and have never gotten a response back.

4. chefclaycollins

chefclaycollins

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Any one on this board a member from Portland. I would like to see what is going on in that neck of the woods.

5. devotay

devotay

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello!

Glad y'all are talking 'bout my favorite subject!

First a couple of quick answers:
    The contact in Madison is Tami Lax, email [email protected]
    The contact in Portland is [email protected] (I assumed you meant Oregon let me know if you meant one of the many other Portlands)

Those of you who are interested in joining must do so through the national office, and the easiest way is through the US website at www.slowfoodusa.org

Slow Food is an extremely importanty and worthwhile organization. To see something about our biggest event, the "Salone del Gusto" or "Hall of Taste" visit www.salonedelgusto.com . It is the biggest food show in the world, and it is not overrun with the McDonalds, Miller Brewings and ABs of the world. Rather, it is a couple of thousand exhibitors and seminars are geared toward highly flavorful, sustainable, artisinal cuisine.

To see something closer to home, visit my website (below) and click on the green "From Field to Family" icon on the homepage. There you will see what we have planned here in the provinces to support our local growers and to support sustainable cuisine in general. It's a big culinary festival featuring special guests Lynn Rossetto Kasper, Deborah Madison and Slow Food USA President Patrick Martins.

Please throw me all the questions you would like to. As I said, this is a favorite subject.

6. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Devotay, I tried your link to the salon del gusto, but it says that authorization is required. :confused:

7. devotay

devotay

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hmmmm...

My fault, probably. Try simply cutting and pasting this to your browser:

www.Salonedelgusto.com

It worked for me just now.

8. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    It works if I click on that one. Must be the first one you posted was a session you saved from there, and not the actual web address. Anyway, thanks, I am going to check it out.:)

9. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I envy anyone who will be there. It looks like a fantasy vacation to me. Thanks for sharing that with us.

10. devotay

devotay

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I went to the Salone in 2000. Can't make it this year, but I will be going to the Slow Food Global Leaders' Conference in Lyon in 2003. Yum yum yum.

11. chefclaycollins

chefclaycollins

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Devotay-

So, will you explain to me about conviviums and how they work. I've tried to get a hold of the local one to me (Sacramento, CA) with no luck. Do I join Slow Food, then go to events or whatever with the conviviums or how does it work?

12. devotay

devotay

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The convivia are the backbone of the organization. They are local chapters, each comprised of (usually) no more than 50 people. This is how Slow Food maintains a true "grass roots" structure.

Your local convivium is headed by Kira O'Donnell, and her eMail is [email protected]

Membership, however, is handled through the national office, then directed to the closest convivium on the basis of zipcode. You can join via the website at slowfoodusa.org

Each convivum holds regular events such as olive oil tastings, Slow Dinners, festivals and other educational events, all centered on the idea of spreading the Slow word. We are attempting to return the kitchen and the table to their rightful place at the center of our everyday lives.

I truly hope that you will join the movement. I know people sometimes shudder at the prospect of "joining a movement." They think it's too political for them or that any movement must be filled with a bunch of fanatical weirdos. Well, fear not. Slow food has a number of goals in mind, but none of them are what I would describe as "political." Perhaps "social" would be a more accurate word. As for weird, I've been called that, but it's not because of my affiliation with Slow Food.

As I said before, I welcome any and all questions, so keep'em coming, and thanks for your interest.

13. pinarello

pinarello

Hi I was interested in knowing if any one here is part of slowfood Canada, as I just joined. Looking forward to starting this.

Thanks to all for this thread!

Finally found something thats really up my alley.