whats that?

Joined Jul 11, 2004
I've noticed changes on a lot of "chain" restaurant's sandwich menus can any one tell me what makes a sandwich a "ginder"
also what cuts are hanger and flat iron steaks it's trendy but no place nearby is doing it? much thanks :confused:

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
A ginder is the name for a sub sandwich in parts of New England and a few other places.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
The hanger is a neighbor to the skirt steak. About as tough, but not well formed. The flat iron, I think, is a way to cook a skirt steak, pressed between hot cast iron?

Phil

Joined Jan 5, 2001
The flast iron is cut from the shoulder top blade. I don't think anyone really knows where it got its name, but it could be from the thick gristle that runs along the centre and needs to be removed.

Joined Jan 5, 2001
Are you talking about a "grinder", which a just another name for a hoagie? Flat irons are the meat packers way to market an underused cut. They are similar in use and cooking technique to the "fajita steak" otherwise known as the skirt, or hanger. these cuts need to be cut properly, well seasoned and cooked properly or they are shoe leather.

Joined Apr 14, 2004
Grinder, Hero, Hoagie, Sub or Submarine- different regional names for the same thing.

Top Bottom