What's something you always see at the grocery store....

Joined Dec 30, 1999
and have no idea what to do with it?

I think for me it would be parsnips...

Joined Oct 15, 2000
cchiu,
I love parsnips! Use them in winter braises, especially pork. I've also been seeing them paired with lobster. They're kind of hip right now. They are also great sliced and fried like potata chips. They're sweet and a little peppery. As for my choice, jicama. It is something that I can't find a good use for. I want to like it but I can't.
oops, You spell potato, I spell potata.
;)

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: mofo1 ]

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Parsnips are lovely....mashed with potatoes, roasted with other roots, raw thinnly curled over greens in a salad....
Jicama...in slaw for a crunch or as an addition to veg under fish with an Asian sauce
Mine would be Cardoon? spiky and big...I don't know what size is the best, I think braising or gratin but other than thatI'm clueless.

Joined Jun 9, 2001
well, for me, it must be coconut. i can justafie spending money for whole coconut to just bust it open and drink the juice from it.

also, iceberg lettuce.... i cant stand usuing it.

Joined May 14, 2001
here in arizona i gotta admit it's the cactus. It's in every produce section...i'm intrigued but have no idea what to do with it. will have to finally breakdown and buy some, do a little research and try it very soon here...

Joined Apr 24, 2001
Shroomgirl: cardoons should have small streaks of purple in it. Should be firm and feel juicy like good celery. At home, trim lightly the edges. I like to pull the strings off. Drop in acidulated water to keep from dicoloring (they're like their cousins the artichoke in this way). Braise with lamb and potatoes with some tomatoes. Braise by itself until tender with a little garlic. Braise with pork shoulder.

For me, it's celery root. I always want to buy it but am afraid I won't like it. Funny this has never stopped me from buying anything before.

Joined Aug 14, 2000
Beef tongue is big in deli's in this part of the world. Nothing wrong with tongue on rye with a little mustard. For me I think the mystifying ingredient would be tripe. It just looks a little too funky.

Joined Jun 9, 2001
try eating smoked beef tongue. i tried it when i was in school but i thought i wouldnt like it but i LOVED it.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Salsifis. I had no clue what they were or what to do with them.

They looked like dead stalks of wood to me!

:rolleyes:

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: pooh ]

Joined May 6, 2001
Jicima and apples can combine for lovely cole slaw. And www.cookinglight.com has some recipes using cactus. (I haven't tried them yet, but am curious)

As for what I don't know what to do with..............hmm, I'll have to think a bit on this one.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
cactus saute and tastes like lemony green beans
Tripe, tried cooking it did not do it right
Tongue tried to eat it my brain got in the way
hmmmm....salsify is like artichoke, looks different but really has that texture and flavor, I get mine fresh from a farmer and they are bizarre looking....carroty shape with lots of hairy roots.
Celeriac....oh my gosh this stuff makes the best root slaw with adding carrots, red pepper, parsley, green onions and a remoulade

Joined Aug 29, 2000
KyleW, I've cooked tripe, and I'd be the first to agree it smells funky when you're cooking it. For me it would be some of the roots I see in the store from Mexico and the Caribbean. That and bitter melon. The name puts me off.

Joined May 11, 2001
Fresh loofah(sp?). I see this at the Asian store and I've seen recipes for it, but I've never cooked it myself. Every time I see them, I think of taking a bath. Another for me is raw herring in sour cream -- think that's what it was -- which I saw at the seafood store. That really made me cringe. I love sushi, but whole raw herring puts me off.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Shroom,

Salsifis, how do you cook'em? What do you serve them with? Hey what'dya do with'em?

:confused:

Joined Aug 11, 2000
OK....sugar cane, cut into spears and put a cube of fish on the end and sear or shrimp kabob....or a fun veg....

Salsify, peel with a potato peeler, cut and roast or boil. just like parsnip or beet, treat it like a winter root....mash it in potatoes...

ya know I don't understand or care for kholrabi...it does nothing for me.

Joined Apr 30, 2001
There are a lot of things I don't WANT to eat [liver, kidneys, brain, etc.] but for me, the answer to this thread would be Kim Che (sp?) - isn't that essentially rotten vegetables?

Top Bottom