What's on Your Feet?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chef_bob, Jan 12, 2006.

1. chef_bob

chef_bob

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    In an other thread I read a comment from Shroomgirl about a client of hers having a concrete floor in their party barn (I need to get a party barn I think) and it being tough on her knees and lower back. About 10 years ago I went from wearing runners in the kitchen to Birkenstocks and could not believe the difference on my back and knees. I had to bid my Birks fair well :cry: (now the most expensive slippers I have ever owned!) as my current employers mandated steel toes so I have gone to SIKA steel toe clogs with flex sole (wood is also available). There good, but nothing beets my Birks!

Just wondering what every one else has at the end of the checkered pants?:confused:

2. cheftobe

cheftobe

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Proffesional Dansko's, and I probably will never wear anything else in the kitchen again!!!!! I can work almost 13 hours without my back hurting!!! The only shoe that actually hugs my high arch. I checked the internet before I went to the store to purchase them and the prices were generally the same. Highly recommend spending the $118.95

3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Bastad wooden sole clogs at present, have also worn Dansko, Birkenstock birkis and professionals, and Anywheres. I like the bastad and dansko equally, but for my next pair I am probably going to a Birkenstock Oklahoma, which I wear off work and love, but haven't tried at work yet.

4. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    You might want to do a search as we have had a few interesting discussions about footwear in the past. Here for example: http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/showt...light=footwear

Myself, I like Lemaitre shoes from France. They Look a bit like runners, but with a coat of black shoe paint they're fine for management. And they are steel toed. They are light and wide, and I can stay on my feet for 8 hours straight and not feel any soreness in my legs or lower back.

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've been wearing Dansko's for over ten years and i'm very happy with them from all things considered.

6. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Robust army officer's type leather shoes. Made locally by Dayton's, who have contracts for many police, corrections, and army officers in N.A.

Feet are long time shot. I wear a full length custom orthotic which demands a very stable shoe. I'm also hard on my shoes. The ones I wear now are expensive (200$ CDN) but are worth it because I can re-heel and re-sole them, they usually last 2 years, with constant 14 hr days.

During my apprenticeship I was co-erced into wearing wooden clogs. Hate them with a passion. Very loud and about as comfortable as skiboots, because they are as flexible as ski boots. Also very slippery, with a strong tendancy to hydroplane on water puddles.

7. andrew563

andrew563

I swear by my birkenstocks, easy and light. I used to have lower back pains and knee problems with my old steel toed work boots. When i switched to birki clogs, it disappeared. I don't even think about my feet or back anymore. I am on my second pair now. After two and a half years of 10 to 16 hour days, my first pair finally fell apart. And what I really love about mine, when they get dirty and stinking, I just pop out the insoles and run them through the dishmachine.

8. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I was clog wearer, but at one location we had to wear boots... don't ask... company policy.
    Anyhow, I switched to Doc Marten boots. Wear like iron! Mine are 7 years old and don't look a day over, well, 6 years. But, they really do hold up.
    Since I have been teaching, I switched to the ChefWear show. Best move I ever made. Tons of support, well constructed, easy to clean and a non-slip sole. For $80 you can't go wrong.

9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    The down side of birkenstocks is that your feet spread or at least mine did....try going from wearring birks all the time to trying to get your fat little feet into high heels for a night on the town or a business meeting.....red plastic birks as much as I hate to admit it don't go with everything.

Crocs....oh man, if you ever put these on your feet you'll never want to take them off....not for serious cooking but oh man they feel great....come in pretty colors too!

10. andrew563

andrew563

Hopefully i won't have to wear high heels to a business meeting.

11. laprise

laprise

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi,
    what are birkenstocks? are they those gardening colored plastic shoes that Batali wear?

I cook in people's home now, so my shoes last way longer.:D

I where SIKA, steel toe, birch sole and love them... I have always wax all my black leather shoes with some Bee Wax product to waterproof hiking boots... That way crap like hot oil, meat juice etcc.. does not seep into the leather!

12. emhahn

emhahn

For me it's Birkenstock's, 'Tokyo's' with the non-slip bottom. Not cheap, still about $150 a pair.

I read up above on this thread somewhere that the "concrete floor is killing the feet, knees and lower back." AMEN! I agree entirely! That's what fatigue mats are there for! If you don't have them in your kitchen, get them! You'll be glad you did!

Eric
    http://www.restaurantedge.com

13. chef_bob

chef_bob

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Birkenstocks are a german pressed cork sole sandle. They are aviliable in a open or closed toe. I do not think they would qualify as a true clog, but same idea. Being from Canada west coast I am sure if you check out the web site ( http://www.birkenstock.com ) you will recognise them as the foot wear of choice of many people in your neck of the woods. I do not believe they are what Mario wears, but I could be wrong.

14. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    my birks are plastic with inserts....closed toe and back. I've stuck with red, Mario wears orange ones.....they are so ugly they are cute.....no steel toe.

The "party barn" is my favorite client's studio that is literally a concrete floor....albeit a very nice modern barn with a stove, large sink, loads of storage but it is one big open room with a loft with 3 sides that are all glass. No mats.

15. bijoink

bijoink

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I got Wal-Mart shoes they are pretty bad a**

16. markv

markv

Well clearly I'm from another planet because I hated Birkenstocks. Hands down the most uncomfortable shoe I ever put on my feet.

In the kitchen I wear Nike sneakers. The shox to be specific. They're top of the line running shoes and provide good support and comfort.

Mark

17. chef_bob

chef_bob

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK, I did a little looking and it looks like the brand Mario wears is CALZURO. I oficially admit I have a warped brain:eek: , that I needed to confirm that fact. But I can accept that. :bounce: :roll:

18. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Ooh, hate to think what the kitchen elements (grease, water, tomato sauce, chicken stock) will do to expensive sneakers. Buying a pair of shoes over $100.00 that you can't re-heel or re-sole is like buying a new car and throwing it away before the first oil change is due...

19. chef_bob

chef_bob

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I got about 5 years out of my last Birks, the average life span of runners in a kitchen has to be less that 6 months!

20. briangig

briangig

wore new balance sneakers. they did fine over an 8 hour shift, but my feet were killing me after a few 15 hour days..

switched over to red wing boots (steel toe), and my feet feel great, and are always comfortable...the first few weeks the bottoms of my feet were sometimes a little sore, but now they feel great.