whats Jaggery sugar like ? good in the morning coffee ?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by alexbel, Jan 9, 2015.

1. alexbel

alexbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I've learned about what it is and its health benefits. But what does it taste like in the regular things we Westerners use sugar in? I don't much like white sugar and I don't like dark brown sugar in my coffee or tea. I like blond sugar . You know the sugar in the raw kind. The best quality I've had is not made by "sugar in the raw". But it's sort of the type a little more golden  . Now I want to try jaggery instead, essentially for coffee. for health .I have some organic raw cane sugar (" The Real co" )granular and mid brown I really like that, but very expensive.  

Thanks 

Alex 

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I don't know jiggery, per se, but have used Mexican Piloncillo in the same application that you ask -- coffee.  I think the two products are quite similar.  Piloncillo is a very raw sugar that comes in a cone and must be shipped or grated,  It gives coffee an extraordinarily syrupy and butterscotch/caramel-like mouth feel and taste.  I rather like it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  3. alexbel

alexbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank for the answer , that sounds interesting . those qualities are often appreciated in coffee itself.