What's a cut of beef that's between a flaminyawn and a strip in terms of Tenderness over Flavor?

Joined Jun 27, 2017
Just wondering if there's any cuts that are somewhere inbetween the a flamingyawn and a strip or porterhouse in terms of it's flavor and tenderness? My to go steaks are flaminyawns, strips, and occasionally porterhouses. I'm wondering if theres anything I could be missing out on or does it all come down to grade of beef.

Joined Jun 7, 2021
Ribeye, Flatiron. The ribeye is a great cut, especially bone-in. It has sufficient fat marbling to make it tender, and give it great flavor. I like mine with the cap still attached.

The flatiron comes from the chuck, and like the ribeye is well marbled. It is nearly as tender as the tenderloin, where the fillet mignon comes from, but has much better flavor. Both of these cuts are great pan fried, broiled, or better yet, cooked over charcoal They should be cooked no more than medium rare, IMHO. Fla iron, for the quality, is a real bargain.

The famous Delmonico Steak is a particular couple of dry aged ribeyes, as is the club, or tomahawk steak.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Joined Mar 1, 2017
One of the most overlooked yet, tender and tasty cuts, is Top Sirloin. Prep and cook like flaminyawn due to its low fat content and it can be just as tender. :)

I like to use Top Sirloin when making Fajita's, Carne Asada etc.

Joined May 5, 2010
One of the most overlooked yet, tender and tasty cuts, is Top Sirloin. Prep and cook like flaminyawn due to its low fat content and it can be just as tender. :)

I like to use Top Sirloin when making Fajita's, Carne Asada etc.

I agree with you. I've roasted whole top sirloin butts with the cap to rare in Alto-Shams overnight. The next day simply finished in a hot oven and allowed to rest. Really good eating. Plus the cap can be removed and made into London Broil.

Top Bottom