Chef Forum banner

What you cook in 6" cast iron?

7K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  afan 
#1 ·
I bought recently in the local Goodwill store a Lodge 6.5" cast iron pan. So, I wonder what do you cook in so small CI pan, what you use for? Or any suggestion...

Thanks,
Afan

#13 ·
Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it.

Interestigly, when I was searching the internet for the answer, 3/4 of the responses were eggs. It must be right. :D

Anything that fits
Learned that from my physics class. I was hoping for something more useful, and exact... :D

They work well as a cornbread pan.
Very good one...

... a 1/2 pound burger fits well... good sized pan for 1 person cooking!
Good one too...

But shouldn't you be figuring out what you are going to use it for before you buy it?
You're right. And I usually do. But when you find one in really good condition for $3.50 - it bends the rule. :D

While waiting on your responses, I continued searching and found that it's really good (for me) in two things: 1. Even if I don't make something in it, I can serve the food in it because it will hold the temperature for a while; 2. it will limit the quantity of my meal to something really healthy (because I eat until I see the bottom of the plate :D)

Thanks again.

#15 ·
There was a restaurant I used to frequent that once upon a time had a wonderful apple dessert they served in a small cast iron skillet. I forget what they called it (or many of the specifics) but it had some kind of pastry, seasoned, cooked apples, all covered with a gooey caramel sauce, served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. I imagine they dropped it from the menu because it required a special container and looked to be rather labor intensive. I'd have to think the skillets would be a bear to get clean too.

#16 ·
The restaurant I am at currently uses a small cast iron, roughly 4", for a cast iron cookie on our dessert menu. Cooks in about 5 minutes, topped with a malted milk ice cream out of the oven, and sent off.

So...a 6 inch cookie would be 50% better.

#17 ·
The restaurant I am at currently uses a small cast iron, roughly 4", for a cast iron cookie on our dessert menu. Cooks in about 5 minutes, topped with a malted milk ice cream out of the oven, and sent off.

So...a 6 inch cookie would be 50% better.
There was a restaurant I used to frequent that once upon a time had a wonderful apple dessert they served in a small cast iron skillet...
This is good idea! I really like it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.