What would you like for breakfast?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by silkstuy alfie, Jun 13, 2012.

1. silkstuy alfie

silkstuy alfie

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Besides the typical benedict, omelets and bacon & eggs dishes, what would you like to have for breakfast? Would roast lamb panini make the cut? What are your suggestions?

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Home made biscuits and sausage gravy wth a fried egg on top.

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    If you're looking for out of the ordinary breakfasts, I love soup for breakfast, particularly a spicy carrot fennel soup. Fried rice is good, as are some noodle stir fries. I've done some Japanese style assembled soups too.

4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    For breakfast i like bready/slightly sweet things - raisin bread, plain artisan bread toasted with butter and jam, pancakes, muffins, english muffins, bagels, cornbread and butter, various sweet breads.  Nothing too sweet and not many savory things either (bacon is good, eggs are good)

No sandwiches, no soup, no sweets (cake,

pastries)

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'll eat anything for breakfast.  On special occasions I like to go the extra mile and make eggs benedict but on a daily basis I'm good with some yogurt or scrambled eggs with ham if I've got a bit more time. 

6. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You really eat at breakfast! It's a black coffee to me. A croissant once in a while.

7. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    ooh, not even touching this one!   my bad....

joey

8. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    This was my Dad’s favorite breakfast and while my husband and I were

in Hawaii last month we were lucky enough

to be able to have this for breakfast one morning

Pipikaula, which is a type of Beef jerky, but much more moist,

juicy, tender, flavorful and no where as stringy and tough;

eggs and steamed white rice with Nori Furikake and Shoyu or soy sauce

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Those eggs look WAY overdone to me.

Chicken fried steak.  Grits.  Cheese grits.  Potatoes of some sort, lots of onion.  Lamb panini?  Hmm....

mjb.

10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Take it easy.  You're being too dramatic.  May not be your preferred way, but there is not a single spec of brown on those eggs.

11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  It is important to fuel your body in the same way that you fuel your car.  You wouldn't tell your car not want fuel because that would be stupid.  In the same way we should fuel our body.  While sleeping our metabolism slows down, in the morning by fueling it with breakfast it gets our metabolism going again.  I thought that in this day and age people all over the world would understand the importance of breakfast, guess not. 

12. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Phatch brings up a wonderful, warming start for the day

In Hawaii, I suppose because of the Asian influences,

many people have some kinds of hot meal,

alot of times leftovers from the night before

My husband thought that this was kinda funny,

but guess who eats whatever I give him

[​IMG]

13. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    In college I had a Japanese roommate.  Every morning for breakfast she'd have a salad.

14. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

Yeah mjb, they were a bit over cooked, as we do like our eggs soft scrambled, but then as in another thread, cooking in someone else's kitchen was not an easy task for me

15. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Left over Red Flannel Hash. Has to be leftover because I'm not taking the time to make it in the morning.

My kids like popovers as well as their cooking relative, dutch babies. I like the dutch babies better because of how they serve with the sauteed fruit. I prefer cheese popovers over the plain, but the plain are better hot out of the oven. The cheese ones need to cool to room temp for the cheese flavor to work at its best.

I like strata too, but the rest of my family doesn't.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  16. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Tell me about these popovers and about these dutch babies.  They sound cute.

17. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    These are a "quick bread" batter kind of thing though without any chemical leavening or yeast. Popovers are larger versions of the Yorkshire pudding. Joy of Cooking will detail both of them well. Dutch Baby is in the index under the pancakes

You can use a standard muffin tin, but I like the heat retention of cast iron mini-muffin pans.

Ingredients at room temp preferably.
    1 cup flour
    salt, about 1/2 teaspoon is what I use, but I tend to reduce sodium to keep my doctor and myself happy.
    2 large eggs
    1 cup of milk.

Heat the oven to 450 with the muffin pan inside.

Mix the ingredients until smooth. Don't worry about overbeating the mix as a little gluten development actually helps them rise.

When the oven and pan are hot, grease the muffin cups. Butter is traditional, but an oil spray sure saves hassle and is FAST which helps keep the pan hot. If you use butter, Just cut in small cubes and let 1 cube melt in the bottom of each cup. Pour in the the muffin cups about 2/3-3/4 full. Quickly back into the oven for 15-20 minutes, reduce the heat to 350 and cook another 15 minutes. DON'T PEEK. These rise from the eggs and steam so don't let the heat out. Note the falling oven temperature technique which replicates old solid fuel cooking.

If your oven has a time bake feature, it's convenient to set the oven to come on and heat up the pans and oven about the time your morning alarm goes off. Then you can quickly mix the batter and get things moving.

Dutch babies are a little simpler, basically just twice as much egg in the ratio. I like cast iron skillet or non stick for cooking these as I can cut down on the butter and they slip right out

1/2/ cup milk
    2 large eggs
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup flour
    4 T butter-- i only use 1 T. Sure the extra butter is good, but not that much better.

Heat the oven to 425.

Mix the first 4 ingredients. Melt the butter in the pan over medium heat. Pour in the batter and let it cook unagitated 1 minute. Then into the oven on a middle or lower third rack. Drop the temp to 350 after the first 15 minutes. Let it cook 15 more minutes at the lower temperature. It will climb the walls of the pan and puff up in the middle. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

While they're cooking, I usually saute up some apples in a little butter with some sugar and a bit of cinnamon. Use whatever fruit you like of course. Fresh berries could just macerate in sugar, no cooking needed.

18. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hmmm, dutch babies sound good!

19. zoebisch

zoebisch

Exp:
    Other
    Uhhh....lulz...that cetainly sounds odd out of context hahaha.

I love to make scrapple from scratch, crust it in cornmeal flour mixture, fry it in bacon fat.  Serve that with fresh made homefries and some eggs over-easy..yum!  Another favorite is poached eggs on buttered white toast that is torn into pieces and then a liberal sprinkling of a "seasoned" salt mixture (I typically do salt, paprika, sugar, onion and garlic). A little garnish of chive rings is nice on top.

20. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Crêpes.

Petals.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012