What would make you sell your best knife?

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by sgtsparks, Nov 7, 2005.

1. sgtsparks

sgtsparks

I am having seller's remorse. By this time tomorrow I will have sold my two Wusthof knives. They are beautiful. Look virtually the same they did when new. But no turning back now, the Ebay minimum bids have been met. (No surprise there, I guess, I set only a $20 minimum... maybe should have set a reserve... maybe... maybe...) And they sit there, gleaming. I have 50 other knives. But these are my Wusthofs. Go ahead tell me everything's OK, and I'll never notice them missing. (Maybe the bids will climb above $20, and I'll be soothed by the spendable cash...)

2. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    What made you sell them in the first place?

3. sgtsparks

sgtsparks

Fair question. I have had to re-evaluate the amount of "stuff" that surrounds me -- because I have made the shift into the role of full-time writer. So some of those things that I have that have value to others need to be sold to support my efforts. (Until royalties come rolling in.) I have plenty of "good" knives, so, though I may regret it later, I decided the two Wustofs could bring in a few dollars.
    And by the end of the day, Ebay will tell me if those great knives have attracted those dollars. (Today might be a slow Ebay day for knife fans, and somebody could get a great deal... and then I may need this forum's counselling service...)

---Sarge

4. corndogggy

corndogggy

:) If you really have 50 other knives, why did you pick the two best ones to chuck? If it's money, sell 20 others that are mediocre instead of the two best. Unless it's too late, you can always cancel the auction on eBay if you truly are sorry you put them up.

5. sgtsparks

sgtsparks

Sounds like a plan... but selling stuff on Ebay is heavily dependent on name recognition. I think you'll find that Wusthof, Henckels, and Cutco often lead the pack there. I just sold some of my Henckels, and next I'm probably going to put up Cutco. The rest of my knives work fine, but nobody would likely recognize their names, nor would many average Ebay buyers have the patience to work with carbon (non-stainless) steel blades. Now, I'm just going to bite the bullet and watch the last hour and a half of my Wusthof auction. Appreciate the concern !

6. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    It is a sad day when a guy has to sell his tools. I lost an entire restaurant once and still left with my knives.....