What would be the right type of knife cutting very hard vegetables?

Joined May 3, 2015
What would be the right type of knife cutting very hard vegetables like acorn, delicata or any hard vegetables?
Does the type of steel, carbon fiber or ceramic really matter? How the size and shape of the blade? Any other factors to consider when a cook has petite hands?
Or should I consider steaming hard vegetables first, then break it down with a chef's knife to cut into smaller pieces?

Joined Sep 26, 2017
I usually whack them with a thick German chef's knife.

A thin Japanese knife would work too, if super sharp, that is.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
This what I use. It is 10.75 inches. Works well for me even on raw, uncooked squash such as butternut or acorn, etc. I find the weight, size, and shape lends itself to the task perfectly.
MBK-110_1024x1024.jpg

Joined Oct 10, 2005
What the job requires is a heavy, thick bladed knife. Acorn squash is very dense and requires a lot of force to cut it, small thin knives will waste your time and make you use more "elbow grease".

I use the same knife for squashes, slicing watermelons, block chocolate, and chopping nuts. Softer steel is better for this kind of knife, as harder steels and ceramics are more prone to chipping.

Joined Oct 15, 2012
I use my 21 cm F.Dick chef's knife for everything from chopping the hardest squash to dicing jelly. Despite its somewhat unfortunate name, it's one of the few near-perfect knives I've ever worked with. Smaller hands tend to fare better with shorter chef's knives to achieve a better balance, but there is a point of diminishing returns as the knife gets too short, because you lose impact and leverage on your work.
F_Dick_1905.jpg

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I like using a good ole' $14.99 GE Electric Knife. I got one some 30 years ago for a wedding present. It's actually good for a lot of things.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
I agree, a'lectric knife is great for:
slicing quiches, pate en croute, cake, tarts, biscotti logs, and bread, definitely bread, it's great with bread.

And while it slices turkey and ham o.k., the scarring on the slices it leaves behind isn't very pretty.

But it sucks pond water for cutting things like cheese and squash.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I can't very much figure out what squash types you've been cutting ... but for ME ... it's an easy job going through most any type with NO force or resistance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom