What wine with American Wagyu? (Kobe)

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
OK, I blew my allowance and spent $115 on four American Kobe filet mignons from preferredmeats.com. (I'm normally so cheap that I reuse ziploc bags but this is a special occasionl) My Inlaws are coming to visit the new baby and I want to pick the perfect wine. Suggestions please! :)

Kuan

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Kuan,

Here is some basic guidlines to follow when choosing a wine

http://cheftalkcafe.com/forums/showt...?threadid=5772

How are you going to prepare the beef?

You want a big wine with this beef,but one that has started to shed some tannins and show fruit.

Try to find a wine that has a few years of bottle age to it (95,96,97)in Napa was excellent. 97 in Northern Italy was amazing (Sassicia,Solia,Tignanello anything by Gaja)

Chapoutier,LaChapelle and Guigal Rhones are stunning and rustic.

Of course Bordeaux is king.

If first growths are not an option, look for some super seconds.
Duhart Milon,Grand puy lacoste,Montroze,Cos,Ducru,ETC.

Have fun,

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I knew I could count on you CC!

I've never had American Wagyu before and I don't know how I'm going to prepare it!

Big wine with a little age to it eh? '94 or '95 Caymus you think? I have both these laying around.

My thought is to serve the steak as simple as possible to keep the focus on the steak. Salt and Pepper, sauteed mushrooms, parsnip/potato puree, that's it.

What do you think of Zinfandel?

Kuan

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Kuan,

Either the 94/95 Caymus would be wonderful. Chuck Wagner produces one of Napa's most respected wine.

A Zin may work,like a Ridge Pasa Robles or Geyserville,Ravenswood single vineyards as well, but I personally would drink the Caymus.

You know Kuan,if you make a roast garlic paste and spread it on the steakafter there cooked,then sprinkle with some gorg and run under your broiler and drizzel with 8 year old balsamic or a balsamic reduction you'll be amazed at the marriage of flavors.

Have fun
CC

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
OK I didn't open the Caymus, I did a 1986 Les Carmes Haut Brion instead. I didn't do the gorgonzola/roast garlic/balsamic combination either. The steaks weren't that great. There were two true filet mignon, one butterfly piece from the small end and one from near the head with a part of the chain attached. The center cut parts were great, not as much beefy flavor as a dry aged prime but as tender as prime. All in all, not that great a steak for the price. I'd much rather have dry aged prime.

The Les Carmes had a good mellow oak and pretty smooth. It isn't too complex and probably a little past its prime or at its peak. Not too much acidity and very slightly peaty.

All in all, a good dinner with great company :)

Kuan

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Kuan,

Sorry the meat wans't perfect.

The 86 LCHB should of been very nice.

It's only a 9 acre property that abuts Haut Brion and Le Mission Haut Brion....1.500 btl production (Tiny).

BTW, I'm with you. I have yet to eat a piece of beef that I enjoy more than American Prime dry aged. It really is a treat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom