What were your kitchen blunders this week?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pollopicu, Jun 19, 2013.

1. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    No judgements, everyone makes mistakes. Feel free to post pictures too. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/blushing.gif

Yesterday I burnt balsamic glaze. Remade it, then overcooked it (tar). At home I never have a problem, but at work, when I have to multi-task and can't baby sit it it usually suffers the consequences of my inattention.

The thing that kills me is that I had it close to perfect, took it off the burner, to finish it in a min. placed it back on, turned my back around to finish my prep sheet, and boom it was done. The range vent was on so I didn't even smell it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  2. thegrumpycook

thegrumpycook

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I have banned myself from making croutons because I always end up burning the first tray. You'd think after 7 years I would put a timmer on those things. One morning in my first year as a cook, I managed to forget about them so long they essentially liquified. Then when I tossed them in the dumpster out side, 10 minutes later I called the fire dept. to put out the dumpster.

3. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    What I usually do is get something going on the stove, then dash down to my computer for "just a second" to check on something or other.  WAY too many minutes later...  Like the mushroom and shallots I was sauteing last night.

Sigh.

mjb.

4. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hmm , well im crazy but to save time i make rice in a pressure cooker. 

Burnt rice 2 times this week. 

I fell behind during service yesterday and delayed a freaking pasta dish by 20 minutes, THATS RIGHT SERVED ONE PASTA DISH 20 MINUTES LATE. I was so pissed that today during service i made all my dishes on time and started prep early just to not fck up tomx when we will be short one man. 

Oh someone in my kitchen used up all my minced garlic without telling me , so when i needed it i didnt have it resulting in my having to rough chop 8 garlic gloves in about 2 minutes Dx . 

I cut cabbage a little to thick , and forgot to cook some yams for service , then my chef got pissed when i cooked them during the last few minutes of my prep ( literally last 30 minutes ) and they ended up really crispy on the outside because i forgot to cook them in steam XD. 

of course i was having an off day yesterday but today i kicked major ass in the kitchen , resulting in compliments from my chef  :3

P.S. i was making homemade pasta as well yesterday and i accidently got a few strands of tagliatelli stuck together *face palm* 

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  5. helloitslucas

helloitslucas

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I dropped an entire 500g of salt into my tomato sauce as it was simmering away last night. Woopsy.

6. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    So today the guy on our grill and meat station took a day off , so it was just me and my head chef working 115 covers....i can only imagine how many mistakes i made XD 

7. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    [​IMG]

I guess you can say I was chillin' more than I was grillin'... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smoking.gif

8. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Haha , the last  days i burned my arms on those dam baking pans....

OH AND MY HEAD CHEF WAS MAKING A STIRY FRY MONDAY AND GUESS WHAT....

Instead of adding ginger oil , she added hot sauce to the mix -_- everyone was just laughing but in the end we chnaged the name to spicy beef stir fry and everyone loved it XD. 

9. carlnwo

carlnwo

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Haha like the picture of the burnt cob, the mad thing is, I know someone who only eats them like this!

One of my worst blunders was a Hog Roast I was asked to a few years back, travelled nearly 200 miles to Scotland only to leave the spit rod at home, Doh!....fortunately there was a catering supplier not far and managed to buy a new one quite easily.

10. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Who, my husband?

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

Seriously, he ate it like that and nibbled dangerously close to the burnt kernels.

11. helloitslucas

helloitslucas

Exp:
    Line Cook

Damn you, slippery shallots! Very first flesh cut with my new favourite utility knife.

12. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oh no, hope you're ok, Lucas.

13. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    I was gonna say the other side of that cob was probably really tasty!!

14. helloitslucas

helloitslucas

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I am okay. I think I am in the boat of people who believes that a sharp knife actually does save some medical bills. ;)

15. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Utility knives, and in general short, narrow and pointy knives, are more dangerous in my experience.

16. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oh look how nice..burned brown rice.

I'm hesitant to post this picture because it gives the impression I burn my food quite often, but I actually rarely do.

We got an AC unit installed in the den, and since the door is closed now, I totally forgot I had rice cooking.

[​IMG]

Another new batch on the stove as we speak.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  17. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Im god at making rice....

But Tuesaday while my chef was on her day off , i took over , i was making yakisoba when i had cut the middle finger in my right hand , no biggie cleaned up and got a glove on , 5 minutes later i cut my right thumb.... -_- had to workt the whole day using cheap a** gloves.... 

18. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cuts are the worse. I rather have a burn than a cut.

I can make rice with my eyes closed because I grew up cooking it since the age of 8, but the trick is remembering it's on the stove. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

19. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    im weird.... i cook rice perfectly but since its in a pressure cooker and the noise annoys me i block it off. 

Then usually since i forget to time it , i go by the smell.... now if im sick and forget to time it ( well lets just say the dishwashers end up hating me for the day ). 

20. rscobe1212

rscobe1212

Exp:
    Line Cook
    burnt sweet corn - surprisingly edible

burnt popcorn - delicious

burnt grits - a most offensive experience