what we ordered in the seventies?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by youla, Nov 8, 1999.

1. youla

youla

Our staff party this year has a seventies theme okay...but we have been given the job of provididng seventies food...everyone asks me cos I'm over 20 but I cant remember what was big then ...please help !!! oh yeah i remember prawn cocktail and I think all the hippy vegetarian food was in cos i remember eating a lot of lentils and chickpeas!!

2. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Fondue, baked pasta, canned everything and frozen dinners.

3. youla

youla

well thanks for a start....by the way thank you m.brown but I dont think the frozen dinners and canned aything will be appreciated..we are looking more of what people ordered in a restaurant and thanks carol I am sure there was a lot of whole food and hunza pies going down...fondues we are going to do [what a nightmare ]someone said any thing presented in a gelatine mould was big?? any more ideas will be appreciated...even of the canned variety.

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Chicken Kiev, Chicken Corden Bleu, any of the old french standards. These are just a few of the things that were popular in the 70's. Also crepes and what about pop rocks and coke.

5. youla

youla

thanks pete...but fill me in what are pop rocks...I dont think we had them in Australia or maybe they were called something different.

6. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    pop rocks were a candy popular in the 70's. They were made with CO2 and would pop in your mouth. There was a rumor in the late 70's and early 80's that Mikey (a Life cereal spokes boy) ate pop rocks and chugged a coke causing his stomach to blow up. One of the great urban legands of our time in this country.

7. youla

youla

Thanks for the info I think we'll go with the nouvelle cuisine idea and no pete we didnt have pop rocks here and considering your story its probably better we didnt! has anyone got some dessert notions for that era.

8. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    crepes, flaming crepes. cherries jubilee, bananas fosters, crepe suzettes.
    cream puffs in the shape of a swan with chocolate sauce.
    green creme de minth over ice cream or as pudding. red ammoretto over ice cream or tortoni made with the red stuff.
    toll house cookies, brownies, cupcakes.
    there was a time in the late 70's in the midwest, Pop n' fresh Pies, a chain, served fancy pies. so Pie.
    carve some fruit and do watermelon baskets.

[This message has been edited by m brown (edited November 15, 1999).]