What Was Your First Cook Book? Either As A Gift Or Purchased

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kaneohegirlinaz, Aug 29, 2011.

1. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Do you remember your very first cook book that you ever got?

If it was a gift, who gave it to you?

Did you buy it yourself? 

Do you remember how old you were?

Do you remember the first thing that you created out of that cook book?

Mine was The Peanuts Cook Book, I was just about ten years old. 

My Dad gave it to me for Christmas. 

He knew that I SOOOOOO wanted to cook, but my Mom said that I couldn't until I was "big enough to reach the stove without the stool". 

I made my Dad Cinnamon Toast, he siad it was the best that he ever had.  

I still make that for myself and get a nice warm feeling all over.  

[​IMG]

2. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Nice topic!

I'm not too sure, but I think it was a kiddie's cookbook "gossiepietje ik kan koken"

It was sort of a story book with recipes in there about 2 kids visiting grandma and she makes them an apron and teaches them to cook.

I think I was about 10 or 12.

I know my mam made the apron as designed in the book and my first recipe out of it was probably apple pie.

I still got the book (and a number more children's cook books)

3. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Mine was a gift, it was the Active Woman's Cookbook and our Avon lady gave it to me for my 11th birthday.  That Christmas I was given my second two cook books... one just simply titled Cakes and the other was Cheap Chow..Chinese cooking on a budget.

I don't think I used that cookbook until I met my husband and one of the first things I made from it was Sweet and Sour Pork.  I don't know what happened to Cheap Chow... I think I might have used it once or twice but I do still have the cakes book. 

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  4. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Ya' know...

I went looking for all of my old cook books, well, in general all of my books that I had since I was a tike...

my Mom had given them all to charity, I just hope someone is enjoying them

5. gourmetm

gourmetm

Exp:
    At home cook
    Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Three Ancient Cuisines: Chinese, Greek and Roman

Fabulous book and I still use it . I picked up a second copy in hardback for when my original paperback copy dies. It's showing its age.

7. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    ... how fun is that ?  .

I had Jeff Smith's cook books too!

... so sad ...

I really loved his style of cooking

8. nansbliss

nansbliss

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    The first cook book I remember was The Betty Crocker Boys and Girls Cookbook. My parents gave it to me and the first thing I made was called 'Fruit Basket Upset'.  I was 10 or 11 years old and soooo proud of myself. lol I had that Peanuts cookbook, too, at one time.

9. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Mom had a fair range of cookbooks, which is what I cooked from from the time I was about 12. So I didn't get my own first until I was 17. It was Tomi Egami's Typical Japanese Cooking. It was a Christmas present from my then girlfriend.

50 years later and I've still got the book----and the girl.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  10. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    OOOHHH!!

That is soooo sweet, mazel tov!!  ... and 50 more!

11. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Apparently we old boys started later with cookbooks than the ladies.

I shared The New Bride's Cookbook with my first wife. It was a wedding present. The idea was to provide simple, classic recipes, sized for two people, for young women whose mothers couldn't or wouldn't (for whatever reason) rush to the phone. Feminine bias aside, it gave me some discipline.

We bought Joy of Cooking not long after; it was useful then, and has stayed useful over the years -- but not particularly inspiring or transformative.

The first cookbook which really influenced me was Pellaprat's, Modern French Culinary Art (hello durangojo!), which I stole from my mother's bookshelf at about the same time. Now that was a revelation. I had no idea I -- or anyone outside a restaurant -- could cook like that. As the French say, "Who knew?"

BDL

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  12. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Funny, my Mother didn't have any cook books, my Dad and I collected them and did most of the cooking as I got older.

13. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Hey, KYH---

How very nice you're still cooking with the same girl!

We started with Joy of cooking, as nearly as I can remember, and then moved on through all of the Frugal Gourmet's cookbooks. Now have about 35 lineal feet of shelves with cookbooks.  I've been cooking with my kitchen-mate a little longer than you have with yours, I think. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rollsmile.gif

Mike

14. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Quote:
    Oh, the memories! I wanted so badly to make those "doughboys": biscuit dough wrapped around a stick, baked over an open fire. Wasn't going to happen in our family, but I did make the penuche fudge (achingly sweet) and a few other things.

Most of what I learned early was by cooking with my mom (no measurements except to bake), and is retained by memory of sight, smell, taste and emotion. I think the next one I got was from a high school friend with good taste and prescience: The New York Times International Cookbook. I didn't buy more while in college, but afterward I bought The Chinese Village Cookbook and the New York Times Cookbook. Both of those are in bad shape, but lovingly splotched and dogeared. The last cookbook I bought was The Joy of Cooking (a recent edition) at Half Price Books.

I'm now making a project of collecting "vintage" American cookbooks, so I stop at garage sales whenever I can. An inquiry at one house led me to a woman's grandmother's home nearby. She pulled out bags and boxes of cookbooks and pamphlets. I bought a selection, including the Meta Givens encyclopedia and some interesting church cookbooks. I'll have to decide what to focus on, as we're going to run out of space if I keep this up!

15. highlander01

highlander01

Exp:
    Other
    I think my first cookbook was Easy Basics For Good Cooking by Sunset that I bought at a yard sale sometime after my wife and I were married, I remember seeing some of my mom's hand written recipes when I was younger but I haven't been able to find those for years and with my dad passing away back in April unfortunately I'm pretty sure that they are gone forever (to the best of my knowledge she never owned a cookbook).

Her and my dad both were excellent home cooks (my mom cooked professionally for sometime when I as very young).

The funny thing is my dad taught my mom how to cook!!!!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  16. pohaku

pohaku

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Joy of Cooking in college.  After that probably the first Moosewood Cookbook.  A sign of the times.  Then a host of local (Hawaiian) church cookbooks that had local recipes.  I went away to college in the Midwest, so if I wanted to have Hawaiian local or Asian food, I had to learn to make it myself - all the way to making my own kimchee and char siu. This was in the 70's -- before many Asian staples were widely available in grocery stores.  And I called my mother a lot.

17. nadeest

nadeest

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Mine was "The Joy of Cooking" and my mother gave it to me when I first started living by myself.

18. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I was fortunate enough to inherit my Grandma's recipes from some of the restaurants in Honolulu, as well as the Electric Company, what a treasure.  Some of those places are no more, other recipes have her hand written notes on the side margins.  She also gave me her recipe box with cards written by my great grandmother.

19. curious mac

curious mac

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Mine was a Joyce Chin book on Chinese cooking, I forget the name of it.  My father gave it to me around 1966 along with a wok and some wok tools.  I passed all of them along to my older son about 8 years ago.

20. chef mick

chef mick

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I got into cooking fairly late in life so when I went to my small community college culinary school I got my text books as my first cookbooks, but I remember going to a used book store and finding a Martha Stewart Living cook book, very early edition.....I was so stoked to have it.... not sure why but I am a big fan of hers.....