What to serve a vegetarian to go with our beef short ribs?

Joined Dec 15, 2016
I've got a couple of really good friends for dinner on Wednesday night. He enjoys a nice piece of meat, whereas she only eats fish, as she hates the taste and texture of meat. She doesn't object to meat stocks etc.

I was planning to cook some Beef Short ribs (it's quite chilly outside!) using an excellent Gordon Ramsay recipe involving red wine, tomato puree, and mushrooms, serving it on a mustard mash with probably some tender stem broccoli.

What can I substitute for Jen that will replace the short ribs, but still go with the wholegrain mustard mash and broccoli? I was thinking of a hearty lump of cod in the sous vide machine, topped with a poached egg for a bit of sauce?

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Since there are only 2 people coming for dinner isn't it wiser to make just one dish that everyone can eat? I can imagine if you have a lot of meat eaters coming and making something separate for the one pescatarian, but it seems a little awkward to serve 2 different proteins to 2 people. If he eats fish then why not serve a fish entree to both?

Or you can make a really wonderful pasta dish, like a ravioli or risotto or gnocchi where you wouldn't miss the meat at all.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
That... or grill some portabello mushroom and serve to the lady. My wife once was a “partial vegetarian “ like that and would love a meaty mushroom with pot roast gravy all owner it.

Joined Dec 15, 2016
Or you can make a really wonderful pasta dish, like a ravioli or risotto or gnocchi where you wouldn't miss the meat at all.

Thanks koukouvagia, some good suggestions. One of the reasons I was looking for inspiration was simply that I wanted to give him a nice meaty dish - as they live together, and tend to go out together, he rarely gets to eat meat. So, I was willing to put myself out for the sake of his evening!

That... or grill some portabello mushroom and serve to the lady. My wife once was a “partial vegetarian “ like that and would love a meaty mushroom with pot roast gravy all owner it.

This is a really good idea! I could strain the pancetta out of the gravy, she'd be fine!

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I understand now. I don’t know why but I also feel sorry for meat eaters that live with vegetarians but never the other way around haha. I guess if she doesn’t mind the meat juices on her portobello steak then that’s a great idea. It also keeps the dishes cohesive.

You could also serve individual Wellingtons. His with beef in it, hers with salmon and spinach.

Joined Dec 15, 2016
The individual wellingtons was a great idea! I'm robbing that one.

As it turned out, I got busy at work, so I did some lightly breaded/herbed cod, a freekeh salad with pomegranate and pistachios, and a spinach and feta salad, with some steamed broccoli on the side... and she fell ill so didn't make it!!

Short ribs still in the freezer for another day... :p

Joined Dec 14, 2015
WOW. Serving a vegetarian a gravy made with pancetta, but strained out first.
Have you ever watched The Two Fat Ladies? (One of my favorite shows for entertainment, Jennifer reminds me of me). They had a fantastic vegetable episode that was replete with lots of lard and bacon
Granted it wasn't headlined as vegetarian, but your post made me think of it.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
OK ... It's just me. I don't serve vegetarians anything made with meat or meat products. I even have separate plates and utensils, and even my knives and equipment to use for vegans. Simple standards, honor and integrity.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
OK ... It's just me. I don't serve vegetarians anything made with meat or meat products. I even have separate plates and utensils, and even my knives and equipment to use for vegans. Simple standards, honor and integrity.

This type of integrity is necessary in a restaurant. I’m sure vegans and vegos must worry about this a lot. However I do know lots of people who don’t eat meat but are not vegetarians. I had a Greek friend growing up who hated meat but loved Greek roasted lemon potatoes cooked in lamb drippings. I wonder if there is a name for such people.

Top Bottom