What to make with ground beef

Joined Dec 12, 2010
a Tortiere is a french canadian meat pie . It can be made with ground beef ,pork or a combination. I personally make mine with ground turkey thigh. my recipe has cloves and cinnamon so it gets away from the usual ground meat flavour recipes.It freezes well.

there is a recipe on food.com similar to mine or I can give you mine if you,d like it.

if you like Indian flavours you can also make beef samosas.

Joined Oct 15, 2010
How about loco moco?

Start off by cooking up some white rice.

Shape the ground beef into patties, seasoned with s&p and pan fried. I don't cook them all the way at this stage, just brown and set aside. Add sliced onion and chopped garlic to the pan and cooked till soft. Add beef stock or gravy mix of your choice to make an onion gravy. Adjust seasonings as needed and use thickener of choice to achieve desire consistency. Add beef patties back and cook to desire temp. While the beef is back in the gravy, fried up a few eggs.

I put rice on the bottom of the plate, top with beef patties, then the eggs and then smother everything with the onion gravy.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Piroshki, just saying, it hasn't been mentioned yet and shouldn't be too hard all things considered.

Joined Aug 13, 2006
cevapcici!
there should be little v-shaped marks over the cs in that i think.

a meatloaf cooked in a puff pastry - a handful or so of breadcrumbs soaked in milk, an egg, two handfuls of parmigiano, a grated onion, a small pinch of thyme, maybe a squirt (i tsp) of tomato paste, made into a long roll, and then wrapped in frozen puff pastry, brushed with egg (go ahead, go all the way and cut little leaves out of the scraps and glue on top in a decorative way,) and bake. Sealing the meatloaf in pastry keeps all the flavor in, and is very fancy.

There's a recipe i had in the time life cooking of the world - scandinavian cuisine - that called for flattening seasoned ground meat, putting sliced onions on it and rolling it up and then frying. I don't remember the details - does anyone know that? Made it some 30 years ago and not since...

meatballs go nicely in lots of soups, even simple meat broth. They're special in escarole soup.

Joined Jan 5, 2007
Siduri

That first dish sounds similar to the Maltese dish timpana, which is a mince and macaroni tomato-ey filling enclosed in a pastry shell.  Maltese cuisine seems to be a real a

melting-pot style of cooking, with dishes taken from Italian, Greek, Turkish and other influences, but given a Maltese twist.

Joined Aug 13, 2006
Siduri

That first dish sounds similar to the Maltese dish timpana, which is a mince and macaroni tomato-ey filling enclosed in a pastry shell.  Maltese cuisine seems to be a real a

melting-pot style of cooking, with dishes taken from Italian, Greek, Turkish and other influences, but given a Maltese twist.
the first was cevapcici, which are sort of grilled meatballs - i remember them in ex-yugoslavia, but don't know which countries of today they come from

the second was sort of an invention - i wanted to dress up a meatloaf a little.  had some frozen puff pastry.  But it's not a particularly original idea of course. 

I had a meat and pasta pie in tuscany done by my relatives there.  It was amazing. 

Joined Mar 21, 2008
That sounds soo good and I can't have liver (on coumadin). I suspect it would be okay minus the liver but it will change the dish a lot.

Joined Jan 5, 2007
Mary, I've eaten it with and without livers in Malta.

My family members use the liver as an ingredient, but many others don't.

It's really a great, hearty winter dish.  The Maltese people also eat it cold as a lunch dish.

Joined Feb 16, 2011
I was gunna mention Beirocks. Theres a place here that makes them regular, meat, cabbage and all that good stuff, but they have a version with ground beef too. preety much a stuffed roll.

Joined Jan 5, 2007
Not only beat you to it, but Durangojo explained she KNEW that, but had momentarily forgotten!

Joined Aug 21, 2009
I use ground beef in Nasi Goreng (Indonesian fried rice) but I don't add egg as I'm allergic and I use less of the chili paste so the kids will not gripe.  I also use it in Indian kebabs, for salisbury steak with  mushroom sauce, and also in soups.  If you are interested in any recipes let me know and I'll happily share.

Top Bottom