What to make with ground beef

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by maryb, Feb 26, 2011.

1. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I am tired of my old standby ground beef recipes(meatballs, meatloaf, quick chili, etc.) and am looking for ideas. No hard to find spices, I live in the midwest and the closest town with a decent grocery store is population 14,000.

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hamburger Helpers

3. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    shepherds pie, italian wedding soup, empanadas, burritos, bolognese sauce, stuffed peppers with rice and beef, lasagne of course, all things mexican.... burritos,enchiladas, tostados, quesadillas, indian spiced korma spin off, moussaka, chile rellenos de carne, chimichangas, ,..for starters...

joey

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  4. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Just one small observation, Durangojo - from the land where they say shepherds pie originated...   'Shepherds' pie is usually made with lamb (hence shepherd!) - when we use beef, it is called cottage pie, and when we add cheese to the topping, and carrots to the filling, it's known as Cumberland pie (haven't a clue why!)

5. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i stand corrected, ishbel...somewhere in my inner reccesses i knew that, just forgot...thanks!..

joey

6. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Just call me a.retentive.....   /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

7. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    oh chef ed,

please say that did not come out of your mouth, of all people!

joey

8. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    All-right Ishbel, and how about a scottish eggs recipe then?

9. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    To post a question of things to make with chopmeat, when there are so many recipes available both in books, magazines and the internet in this day and age deserves this answer.

10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    And this is one of those sources so why the attitude?  If you can't be helpful or feel that the question is beneath you then why bother posting at all?

Speaking of hamburger helper I like to make my own version that my family loves.  Simply brown the ground meat along with tomatoes, onions, garlic, and herbs as if you're making bolognese.  Then mix that in to your preferrred macaroni and cheese recipe and cook like a casserole in the oven.  I love one-pot meals.

11. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Good idea, lets name it Goulash................

12. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    ChrisB

Scotch eggs?  Well, some people think they were invented in England, using Scotch meat as the sausagemeat component. Others, think they really WERE invented in Scotland.  Personally, I side with the 'yes they are Scots' view, simply because, as a Scot, I know the love my nation has for deep fried foods.  After all, it was a fish n chip shop in Glasgow that invented the deep fried Mars bar!

13. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Nah that's not goulash.  Goulash is braised slowly like a pot roast, it's not ground beef.  And then you serve it with buttered egg noodles.

14. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK then, we will call it American Goulash. I grew up down the road from you in CT, thats the way they made Goulash there, It was a nice way to fill up a family of 5. I think back at all the European foods that we grew up with on the East Coast. I still miss, Great Pizza, Stuffed Baked clams, Fried Clams (Not clam strips) Lobster Rolls and the best Hot Dogs you could buy...................

15. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I do mexican all the time too, and chimichangas are made with braised chuck that is fork shredded. Hamburger helper? Barf /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif yes I searched the internet and kept coming up with all the old standbys, tator tot hotdish, goulash(okay a hambuger noodle dish thing), 60 types of meatloaf, same for meatballs.

16. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    maryb,

chimichangas can basically be made with any filling...there are no absolutes....just like moussaka is generally made with ground lamb, or picadillo with ground pork, you can sub most things with ground beef.

joey

17. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Chef Billy  In the military  they made Hamburger Goulash as well as Americanized S>O>S> over biscuit for breakfast. YUM YUM ? (real; S>O>S using smoked chipped beef is great and served in many upscale places)

18. allie

allie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    MaryB, I completely understand where you are coming from as I often google stuff like "ground beef"  "chicken breasts" and more just trying to get new ideas when cooking for my family.

The ground beef, onions, tomato, macaroni (and sometimes corn) dish is called "goulash" by people in Indiana, too.  I prefer the other type but my SO loves this one dish meal.

I had a recipe years ago for a cheeseburger pie.  I can't remember all the ingredients or directions but basically, you browned ground beef, sauted some onions, and mixed those with worcestershire and other seasonings.  Then you put it into a pie crust and put some sort of cheese sauce on top and baked.  Serve a wedge with ketchup and dill pickles.  Goodness, I haven't thought of that in years.  I only made it once but my family loved it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  19. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    That still comes back to the same old flavors we expect with ground beef. Onions, cheese, same as on a bun.

20. kcz

kcz

Exp:
    Home Cook
    OMG, now I've got a craving for sloppy joes.  Another gourmet dish from childhood.