What to do with stale bread?

Joined Jan 27, 2010
 Being thrifty is good. But we should make it sure that the bread is still good to eat. So, we should do all things to save not easily throw it away. 

Joined Jun 22, 2006
ok, let me be a little more specific i guess.

I asked my chef and kinda hinted at perhaps a bread and butter pudding. He didnt take the hint but he did say there's this Italian soup made with bread, but he felt it's too rustic for our 'fine' dining restaurant. So no bread and butter pudding (cause it aint italian, we're an Italian restaurant) and no to that bread soup cause its too homey.

Any other ideas? Its a pretty lame excuse that he gave me i think, i mean, im sure tehres someway you can present it so that any soup looks good enough to be in a fine dining place.

Joined Feb 3, 2010
The panzanella that Gunnar mentioned shows up in my search as 'an Italian bread salad'.  It might also be a bit too rustic for your restaraunt but apparently it is quite traditional, and I'm guessing you could dress it up some.  It is supposed to be a summer salad, but this is my High Google Education talking... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Another thing I've stumbled across is Skordalia, a greek sauce/dip/spread made with old bread, pureed potatoes, garlic, olive oil, almonds/walnuts, etc.  Again, I don't know that you could use it in your restaraunt, but for the rest of us...

I've been trying to find practical-for-me soaker applications.  Dark, black, rye, and multigrain recipes are dominating the scene so far.  One looked good; a 60% rye with a Guinness soaker./img/vbsmilies/smilies/drinkbeer.gif

Also, here is a recipe http://www.chow.com/recipes/10636  for a watermellon gaspacho that uses up 3 cups of dry bread.  A bit out in left field, but I think when the watermellons grow I may give it a try. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lookaround.gif

Joined Nov 1, 2009
ok, let me be a little more specific i guess.

I asked my chef and kinda hinted at perhaps a bread and butter pudding. He didnt take the hint but he did say there's this Italian soup made with bread, but he felt it's too rustic for our 'fine' dining restaurant. So no bread and butter pudding (cause it aint italian, we're an Italian restaurant) and no to that bread soup cause its too homey.

Any other ideas? Its a pretty lame excuse that he gave me i think, i mean, im sure tehres someway you can present it so that any soup looks good enough to be in a fine dining place.

If your chef is talking about acquacotta, I personally think he is wrong.  Yes, it is a rustic dish, but if done well, I think it has a wonderful flavor.

Joined Nov 16, 2009
toast the bread, go feed bird or duck.
or throw into garbage,
I do see some stores sell stale bread, that is bad...

Latest posts

Top Bottom