What to do with Rosemary

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phatch, Jun 6, 2002.

1. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My neighgbor has a rosemary she cut from me. Yet she never cooks with it because she "doesn't know what to do with it." I loaned her a pamphlet on rosemary, the Herb Farm Cookbook and a smattering of recipes: soups (potato), roasted vegies and meats. You know, the classic things. But what else should I recommend to her to do with it. I did mention using the wood as skewers.

Phil

2. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Sorbet! (with lemon)

Rosemary bread

Any roasted meat or potatoes

Beans

She could heat in gently in oil and let it sit for a while to make rosemary oil which has many non-culinary uses (bath oil, moisturizers, etc)

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Rosemary, lemon and garlic is a favorite combo of mine.

Napoleon's favorite scent was a mix of lemon, rosemary and some binders. National Geographic had a scratch-n-sniff of his custom mix a few years ago. Outstanding.

Phil

4. alexia

alexia

Phatch's combo is a great one, especially on lamb (classic) and chicken.

5. georgeair

georgeair

Exp:
    Private Chef
    We have neighbor with a HUGE stand of rosemary that we use for all sorts of normal things like meat and veg.

I'll admit to never having tried this, but recently when he cut it back to reclaim part of his garden, he gave us probably a dozen or more full stalks, 4'-5' tall and suggested that they were a great additive to a hot bath. Seriously. Just tosses them in there apparently. My only advice is watch your seat!

We stuck to using them for skewers that time....

6. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Rosemary is one of my 5 favorite herbs...

Besides some of the obviuos uses for rosemary i do a couple cool things "Me thinks"

Like anneke said about the rosemary oil, it also makes a great mop for bbqs.

infused in milk for custards and sweet puddings gives a really interesting edge.

Put a couple sprigs in your sugar for "rosemary" sugar..same concept as vanilla sugar.the flowers cystilize really well, and sugar and the flowers pounded together make a incredible sprinkle for veal and poultry....

7. monkeymay

monkeymay

If you want to make rosemary oil for bath/body oil, use almond oil. It's easily absorbed into the skin. I used to make a hair rinse for my daughter that contained drops of rosemary, rose and melissa oil - just mixed and diluted with water- it smelled fantastic and really good for dry hair.
    Our rosemary bush gets enormous, we occasionally cut it way back. I have made garlands to hang around the kitchen and lay on the dining room table -
    at night when the candles are lit and they warm the branches the rosemary fills the house...

8. isa

isa

Rosemary chicken with garlic and white wine. :lips:

9. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The best rosemary I've tasted to date grows along the northern California coast around Bolinas. I'd always pick a few branches to take home. I'd place a couple of 6-inch sections on the breasts of a whole chicken, cover it with foil, and roast. The fragrance upon serving is present though not overwhelming.

Rosemary from the latin "rosemarinus", a plant that the sailors smell upon approaching land at the end of their voyages.

10. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Rosemary has a very strong presence in the Greek ...gardens. As strong as basil has.
    BUT in the same mysterious way is not widely used in cooking.
    As I have written here, in other posts, basil is strongly related with religion, the same is for rosemary so maybe this is the reason that Greeks do not use them so much in their dishes.

I find the taste of rosemary overpowering and I am not a great fan of rosemary in cooking.

I have tasted baby goat stuffed with rice, cheese and rosemary on the island of Amorgos in cyclades.
    We also use it in some marinades and some sauces of Venician origin, like the sauce of fish savorro.

The word rosemary brings to my mind Italian Kitchen and a Easter dinner in Rome some years ago :)