Chef Forum banner

What to do with peas ... ?

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  voodoochyl 
#1 ·
Believe it or not, I've never made peas ... next week I'm preparing dinner for some friends and one of them loves peas, and I need some ideas about how to prepare them in interesting ways. I'll probably make frozen peas. Any suggestions for a creative and, perhaps, easy, way to prepare them?

Thanks,

Pealess in Seattle

#3 ·
Let the peas thaw out . Run under water and drain

Now slice some mushrooms. Get some tiny onions. dice some piemento.1 clove chopped garlic
Saute in butter onions, garlic, mushrooms and piemento add peas season to taste. serve
If done correctly great color,mixture of textures and tast.

You can also put this mixture into tomato halves scooped out and pop in oven if you want to get more fancy.:chef:

#5 ·
Sorry, but all I get is an image of Joan Rivers telling her pea story.

Seems that she was at a formal dinner and one of her husband's former girlfriends was also there. According to Ms Rivers, the girl had no class. "She actually ate her peas with a knife," Joanie sneered. "I thought that was so gouche I dropped a whole handful of mashed potatoes."

Anyway, give some thought to peas and pearl onions in a cream sauce, perhaps flavored with a hint of mint.

#6 ·
Peas are really nice if done simply. I just take the frozen peas and blanch them and then toss with butter. Sounds banal but is tasty.

If you want to be fancier, you can mince a shallot and cook slowly in butter till it's soft, and then add the frozen peas, cover, stir occasionally.

The main thing is not to overcook. Frozen peas are already blanched, and really don;t need much more cooking.

#7 ·
I agree that simple is best. Take out of the freezer and thaw under some water. Place in pot with water and salt and bring to a simmer for about 3 minutes. Drain. Place in a serving bowl and toss in a little olive oil and freshly chopped mint. Right before you serve them drizzle in some freshly squeezed lemon juice. It's important to do this right before serving because otherwise the lemon juice will change the color of the peas if you put it in any earlier.

Because of the mint this is one of my favorite side dishes to serve with lamb.

#11 ·
Here is a nice bacon, leak, and pea risotto that I made recently. It came out so well. Give it a shot.

Shopping List
1 pk. arborio rice (we need 2 1/2 cups)
2 leaks
5 strips bacon (thick cut)
1 pk. frozen peas
1 cup dry white wine
96 oz. low sodium chicken stock (3 cartons)
fresh thyme and sage
1 small wedge parmigiano reggiano cheese
1 fresh lemon

Preparation
I always start risotto by toasting the rice on medium heat with a pad of butter. Do not have it so hot the butter browns in the pan. Toast the rice for a couple of minutes. Remove to a separate bowl. In the meantime, pour two of the chicken broth boxes into a sauce pan and bring to a gentle boil before turning down to low. You want hot broth later. Now, cut bacon width-wise into strips and add to pan. Make sure to lower the heat to medium low. You want to render the fat from the bacon without making it crispy (that means lower heat…maybe even "3"). Prepare your leeks while bacon is rendering (maybe five minutes). Only use the white and light green part of the leek. Cut the ends off, then cut length-wise, wash, and pat dry. Finally, cut into thin strips and add to pan when bacon is done. It will look like a ton of leeks, but like most aromatics, they will cook way down. Cook for a couple of minutes until soft and a little "translucent". Add rice back to pan with bacon and leeks, and add the cup of wine. Let wine cook off (maybe one minute), then add one to two ladles of hot broth to pan. At this point, you will have to remain at the stove for 25-35 minutes. Every couple of minutes you need to add a ladle or two of broth. Stir REGULARLY to keep the rice from burning on the bottom, and to cook evenly. You may not need to use all three cartons of broth, but you will at least use two. Arborio rice is rich in starch and will start to produce a beautiful creaminess. Just keep repeating the process until rice is al dente (taste as you go). DO NOT TURN IT INTO MUSH!!! When risotto is nearly done, add thawed peas, finely chopped herbs (go light on the sage as it is powerful), fresh lemon, and parmigiano reggiano. Give it a taste and add salt and pepper as needed. You may not need salt as the bacon and cheese may add enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.