What to do with LOTS of rendered bacon fat.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phatch, Apr 20, 2010.

1. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I picked up a package of bacon ends. High quality, quite a bit of meat, but also lots of fat. I'm looking for ideas for using up some of the tasty renderings.

Bacon dressing for a spinach salad uses a little bit.

I have a recipe for potatoes marinated in garlic, olive oil, balsamic and rosemary then fried in bacon fat. It's wonderful but won't make a big dent in the volume I'll end up with. Certainly an artery clogger. 

looking for some things to do.

I could load up a lean roast with some strips of it. That has potential, but that's pre render. I'll set some aside.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Bacon fat and potatoes go hand in hand.  I wonder how it would work for pie crust.

3. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I would think for a pot pie or similar savory tart it could work in something like that. maybe even a fruit and cheese tart? Can't decide on that one.

I've kind of debated a dumpling biscuit on a stew too.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  4. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Looking through the current topic list, maybe I'll fry some chicken. Never done that in bacon fat.

5. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well you can always make birdfeeders, there are a few recipes on the web using bacon fat and seeds.

6. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Popcorn is good. I use it for anything savory that requires frying. It is also useful on poultry skin when smoking/roasting to crisp up the skin and add flavor. Put it in jars and into the freezer, keeps forever that way.

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
     Great for Yorkshire Pudding and Popovers and all bean soup recipes. where a smoked flavor is required.

8. allie

allie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Make up some cornbread batter and while the oven is preheating, put a tablespoon or two into the skillet and put it in the oven.  Then when the preheat is done, pour the batter into the hot skillet.  It gives a beautiful crust and wonderful flavor!

I save it in the refrigerator and use it whenever the whim strikes me.

oldhobo likes this.
  9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    German Potato Salad....Joy of cooking has recipes

Sweet and Sour Green Beans

Ed said it....bean soup, use it to saute the onion/garlic/celery

Bacon fat is softer than suet, or even leaf lard...... 

Odessa Piper makes shortbread with the tiniest bit of bacon fat for flavoring......possibly rethink where it can be used.

If your bacon was smoked, it may totally overwhelm fried chicken....maybe a mix of lard w bacon fat

10. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Use it to refry beans.

11. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Originally Posted by abefroman  
    Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner.

BDL

12. skatz85

skatz85

Exp:
    Line Cook
    all these recipes sound good

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  13. gypsy2727

gypsy2727

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well this is dating me but my dad always cooked the eggs for breakfast in the leftover bacon fat ,,,really good flavour. I use bacon renderings for Larding lean meats like Elk, Deer ,sometimes under the skin of chicken , depends on the recipe. Lentil Bacon Soup, Potato, Leek, Bacon and Cheddar Soup  ( old Irish recipe of mine)  The pastry crust for Tortiere and the filling is always better with bacon fat, Fried Liver and Onions ,,really good in Bacon Fat, Baked Beans...well the list goes on it is really something we did quit a bit way back in the day when you didn't waste anything in the kitchen...most throw out this wonderfully flavoured ingrediant
           Good Post ..I love Bacon ....gotta watch the cholesteral these days though,,,(but it's so good) 

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Grab a spoon and if you get addicted move to Denmark. We got more pigs here then Danes.

15. danychef

danychef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    use it as fat in the base of a smoked haddock soup..wonderful in winter!!!!!

16. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Bacon Confit......

"Mmm ...Bacon". (famous qoute by Homer)

Nothing says hello like " potatoes cooked in bacon fat " . Love cooking my green beens and asparagus in it......

Ps. best memories, camp fire, bacon and eggs, the sizzle.......Ya got me.

17. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Gypsy - I agree with the eggs in bacon fat.  There's nothing quite like it.  Also can fry bread in it to go with.

Cabbage works really well fried in bacon fat, season really well.  And I agree with the potato ideas too.  Hey, try doing a fried rice dish with it.  Saute off some onions, garlic, ginger, chillies and what have you, then add some cooked chilled down day old rice with it.  Or you can use it for frying croutons for soups and/or salads.  Soaks it up nicely and makes it crisp and crunchy.

The fat should keep fairly well so you won't need to use it all at once.  I use bacon fat for as long as it lasts, and the waste not want not saying works really well in this case.  Justified, and delicious.

18. mike8913

mike8913

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    confit chicken legs

19. iplaywithfire

iplaywithfire

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    First thing that came to mind for me was confit as well, but I was thinking of a pork confit (might as well go the whole 9 yards).  Depends on how much fat is actually rendered, and bacon fat doesn't last as well as duck fat in my experience, so confit may not be the best of ideas in the end.  I'd go for some refried beans (as was suggested earlier), tortillas from scratch, or any kind of cornmeal dumpling type dish like tamales.  If you're looking to get away from the Mexican food theme, you can go with French in a cassoulet, or in some kind of charcuterie.  Any kind of saute or basting can benefit from some bacon fat love if you use it as a partial substitute for butter and oil, though I would use it as a finisher in most cases. 

20. emathias

emathias

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Once when I had a bunch of bacon grease I took some average ham, cut it into cubes, rolled it in potato starch, and deep-fried it in the bacon grease.  I can't say it's something anyone should eat more than once or twice a year, but they were definitely little morsels of hammy, bacony goodness!