What to do with leftover Morels and Black Truffle Shavings?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by sodypop, Jun 27, 2014.

1. sodypop

sodypop

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Hello everyone! This is my first post. I recently went to a wonderful restaurant, and have some leftover morels and black truffle shavings. Maybe 1/4 cup? Anyways, they have the most amazing flavor, and I don't know what to do with them. Ideas?

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Store them in sherry wine in a covered jar till you figure it out.

3. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Whole truffels are usually kept in a jar with (uncooked) rice. If I were you, I would immediately cut those shavings as tiny as possible and add them to a pack of unsalted butter brought to room temperature, mix well. Put truffel butter on a sheet of cling film and make a roll, put in the fridge overnight. Next morning, cut the truffel butter in 1 cm thick slices and put them on a bit of baking paper cut to the size of a plastic container that will hold the slices. Close the container tightly and put in your freezer. The baking paper is used to prevent the slices to stick to each other; this way you can remove the slices just one by one! Just prevent them from touching each other when storing them; use a sheet of paper between layers too.

When making a pasta or any dish that can have a bit of truffle, put a slice of truffle butter on it, you'll enjoy truffle shavings for a very long time!

Oh, and welcome to Cheftalk!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014