What to do with beef broth

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Oct 24, 2011.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I have 2qts of beef broth in my freezer that needs to get used.  Any suggestions on what to do with it?

2. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    KK,

I see a few things off hand : You can use it as a base for soup, added to stews and briases or sauces. I view that and chicken broth as liquid gold here....you can never have enough.

3. chefboyarg

chefboyarg

Exp:
    Line Cook
    demi glace baby!!! fortify it with MORE roasted beef bones and veg, maybe some vino, simmer, strain and reduce reduce reduce. Takes care of the space issue and you end up with a delicious liquid meal enhancer.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef

I know you're not trying to start an argument about demiglace right?  ;)

chefboyarg likes this.
  5. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Make beef, barley soup with lots of mushrooms.  Bake a loaf of pumpernickel or pain de campagne, and serve with home made butter (made in your food processor or stand mixer).

A demi is a great idea, but 2 qts of stock is a lean start.  Whether you use the old fashioned method, a straight reduction, or something in between, after a lot of time and effort, you'd only end up with about 1-1/2 cups of demi. 

BDL

6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Update, I decided to do a beef barley and winter veg soup with cubed chuck, vegetables and barley.  It was yum.