What to do with all these lobsters?

Joined Jan 23, 2002
Hi everyone and Happy New Year!! Just got back last night from spending two weeks on our catamaran "Cat Ciao" in the Abacos. I just had to tell about our incredible luck one day when we were snorkeling for lobsters. We were in about 10-15 feet of water off of Man-A-War Cay and came across some structures that looked like giant hollow doors underwater. We later discovered that these were actual lobster habitats that locals use to catch the spiny critters instead of your typical box-shaped netted catches in Maine. A friend who lived there said it would be fine if we raided this "lobster-condo" and did we ever hit it BIG!! 18 spiny lobsters in one catch, 7 in another :p I think I've totally filled any craving for this crustacean for a while. We ended up steaming all of them but I wanted to try to poach a few in butter or grill them. The butter down there is either from New Zealand or Ireland and didn't quite taste the same so I didn't want to take any chances on the poaching idea. I even clarified it but it still tasted wierd. I'm not sure what they feed them cows over there. Anyway, I was in heaven. :lips: :lips: :lips: I think we're going back down there in March and I plan to bring with me some ideas for lobster dishes that I can easily prepare on a boat. Any suggestions?

Joined Nov 20, 2000
Let me be the first to add my suggestion. The easiest way to prepare them is to get a waterproof box, styrofoam is best. Pack it with seaweed and or wet newspapers or both. Fill the container with the lobsters, tape up the box, bring it to the local P.O. and address it to me. Send the lobsters and I will take care of the hassle for you. You'll be on vacation! No reason to muck up a good vacation by having to deal with all those nasty little creatures. I'm here for you!
Now for a truly constructive answer hang around for a few minutes. I'm sure some "normal" person will give you a less selfish, more creative idea. If they don't....remember my suggestion:D

Joined May 26, 2001
Chrose, you beat me to it!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Catciao, how do you feel about cutting them up live? If you don't mind that, you can quarter them, sauté them a little, then add the ingredients for a Creole sauce and simmer them a little to finish cooking. Or you can curry them. If you just kill them first, you can grill them, too.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Well, sigh... did you HAVE to take that many? Suppose 25 out of the whole scheme of things isn't that significant.

A good way to do lobsters is to cut them in pieces and wok fry them in oil first. Remove, while keeping a little oil in the wok, make a sauce using hot bean paste, dark soy, tomato paste, tamarind, ginger, garlic, a little water, and pepper. Reheat the lobster in the sauce and serve. Mix up all the ingredients before you get on the boat.

Kuan

Joined Jan 22, 2003
I just saw an intriguing recipe for langoustine in a salted-butter caramel sauce. I'm sure you could use lobster instead. Bear in mind this is from memory (I read it this morning) and I'm translating from French here so forgive any weird-isms and let me know if something doesn't make sense.

You plunge the langoustine into boiling, salted water and boil for just enough time to be able to separate the flesh from the shell. Remove from the water and cut the flesh off the carapace.

Cut the flesh into medallion sized chunks & set aside. Then make a caramel (sugar and water) and when it's a light golden color, you take a fork in one hand and a spoon in the other, and spear a medallion with the fork, and with the spoon, create and wind 'strings' of caramel around the medallion until you have formed a 'cage'. Do this until each piece of lobster is encased.

Then add salted butter to the remaining caramel and mix until you have a smooth butterscotch. The recipe now says to make a demi-glace with some of the liquid that you boiled the langoustine in, and pour it onto the dinner place, then place the lobster in it and top with the butterscotch. But this sounds, er, fishy - and I'm not sure if I'm not understanding the technique, or if it's just not something that appeals to me. Other than that it sounds yummy !

Joined Jan 23, 2002
That sounds quite interesting Mag, I've read about pairing lobster with a sweet & savory sauce, maybe vanilla. I'm definately going to try some of the methods mentioned. I do, however, have a major problem with killing the lobbers myself. Anyone know how to get over that? Blindfold myself? We'll be back down there in March and I will be much more prepared this time thanks to you.

Joined Jan 22, 2003
Yes, I keep hearing about lobster with vanilla as well. As to how to kill the lobsters...I don't know what to suggest except 1) get someone else to do it for you or 2) chuck them in the boiling water tand then run out of the room.

Joined Nov 29, 2001
When I find myself in the ever so rare position of having an extra lobster to throw into something :rolleyes:, I make Lobster Risotto. Start by making a stock with the shells and use this as part of your liquid. Use 2:1 ratio of lobster stock to white wine as the liquid. Stir in the cooked chopped lobster at the end of cooking - make sure it's not ice cold when you add it.

Joined Jan 23, 2002
Oh that sounds delish Chiff, btw, I'm a little late in wishing you a happy birthday ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom