Chef Forum banner

What to do with a good duck stock

32K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  sohailsmb 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm looking for ideas. I have made a rich duck stock. Full of flavour. Now what to do with it, without spoiling it, or overpowering that ducky flavour.

The obvious is a soup with veggies and coconut milk, but I'm also tempted to do something with mushrooms, and maybe some peas snaps and serve it consommé, but with rice and maybe with smoked bacon as an outsider element???

Any ideas or suggestions for me?

#2 ·
In my old age I like soups. My top 10 favorite foods are all noodle soups.
This one is called 'mi vit tiem'

You need thin egg noodles from the refrigerator section in a chinese market, bok choy, shiitakes, roasted duck meat if you have it.

Broth-duck stock, soy sauce, five spice.

Boil, cool,coat the noodles with sesame oil before pouring the hot broth over

#10 ·
This is much the same recipe we use for our Luv-a-Duck duck stock. Here's how you can make your own.

INGREDIENTS
1kg duck carcass with skin and fat removed
2 sticks celery
1 large onion
2 medium carrots
1 bouquet garni
200ml red wine
2.5 litres water

EQUIPMENT REQUIRED
  • Large pot
  • Chopping board
  • Chefs knife
  • Colander
PRODUCTS USED

Whole Duck

METHOD
  1. Roast the duck bones until golden in a hot oven, 220C. Remove from roasting tray and drain well. Toss the vegetables in a little of the duck fat and roast until golden.
  2. Place the bones into a suitable pot, cover with cold water and bring to the boil.
  3. When the vegetables are golden, drain well and add to the stock.
  4. Pour off any excess fat from the roasting tray and deglaze the pan with the red wine. When it comes to the boil add to the stock.
  5. Skim any scum and turn down to simmer. Add the bouquet garni and allow to simmer for approximately 2 hours.
  6. Strain the stock, discard the bones and vegetables.
  7. Use the stock as required.
CHEF'S TIPS
You will probably want to reduce the stock down after you have strained it to strengthen the flavours.

So you can have your stock on hand at any time , freeze stock in 1 or 2 cup sized containers. Margarine containers are great for this as they are approx 2 cups or for 1 cup use plastic or paper coffee cups. Pour in the stock Freeze stock until frozen . Remove from the container and place stock in a double freezer bag , seal and freeze until required.

Source: http://www.luvaduck.com.au/recipes/view/traditional-duck-stock/43/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.