What the Strangest Thing you've Seen whilst "On the Tools" ???

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chef bilby, Nov 14, 2012.

1. chef bilby

chef bilby

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    As the title suggests - What is the Strangest , Dodgiest , Biggest Cowboy Move you've seen in the Stainless Steel Jungle

Here's a few of my favorites
    • 12 min Roast Chicken - Wrappes in foil and Deef Fried from frozen !!!
    • Running out of Baked Beans for a Customer and Sifting them out of a Minestrone Soup ( Me I must confess/img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif )
    • Watching a Chef during clean down dust off her bench and when asked why she wasn't scrubbig it down the reply was " I did it Yesterday Chef " 
    • An Exectuive Chef tearing apart - literally - a kitchen mid service to find his favorite paring knife only to find it locked in his tool box 5min later
    • Watching a Sous Chef on his first day slice his face open while trying to sharpen a knife on his steel in a very tigh kitchen - on his first day
    • I found a student crying in the toilet the other day after he went to the bathroom after chopping chillis ..........owi owi owi /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif
    The list is endless - I'll remember some more and post them up later - What have you seen , heard , perpertrated ???

Come on fess up , this should be fun /img/vbsmilies/smilies/drinkbeer.gif

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  2. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    Eee those are some nasty ones. Your "Executive Chef tearing apart...." reminded me.....

Chef I worked with did exactly that, opening night, 10 minutes before the serve, FOH

full of 90 or so hungry, paying high-end clientelle, while Chef was shouting every swear

word created in clear view of the pass, dumping out drawers of utinsels onto the SS tables,

even the floor, FRANTICALLY looking everywhere.........for.........**wait for it**........

a gawdang zester! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

3. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    oops.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  4. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've never heard the phrase "On the tools" before. I can gather through context what it means, but what is the origin of this term? Anyone know?

5. arugula

arugula

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    A guy dropping his lighter into a deep fryer.

chefgord likes this.
  6. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    A guy pouring bleach on some shark that was way past its prime. He was trying to get the amonia smell off of it. I didn't work there long.

7. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    This guy put a 10kg block of Callebaut in the steamer to melt.

chefgord likes this.
  8. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I actually watched a Chef instructor do something similar with ammonia and baking soda to soak bad shrimp to bring it back.

9. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    How do you bring something back that's gone bad?  I'll take my fish fresh please.

10. chef bilby

chef bilby

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey Someday it is an Australian Phrase - a bit of Aussie Lingo - 

Strewth !!!! Bleach on fish that is just wrong !!! I had a similar experience many years ago during my Apprenticeship the Japanese Restaurant that I worked in had the Crayfish tank short out over a long weekend once and the chefs boiled and froze , boiled and froze these poor smelly ( and incredibly expensive ) Crayfish about 4 times before they were used to make a Crayfish Salad !!! Very Dodgy !!!

11. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Ever see someone put 4 baskets of strawbs on a flatware d/w rack and then put the rack IN the dishwasher to "wash' them?

I've seen coerced "dumpster diving" (crawl into a garbage dumpster) to find missing knives.

One place I worked at had a cheap-o meat slicer,  the locking knob for the carriage assembly was missing. We had a Vice-grip permanently mounted on the carriage shaft to clamp it down.

And in the Army, one (deleted) put hot beef stew into a 24 liter insulated shipping/serving container, but slammed the lid down before it could cool off.  An hour later we were called on a 2 day training exercise.  When we got back...... the lid latches had blown and stuff was dribbling and foaming all over the place.  Yeah, those kind of memories tend to stick into your mind... 

12. chef bilby

chef bilby

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I know a bloke who had a recipe for Dish Washing Machine Poached Salmon - Whole De-boned side of Salmon  ( skin off ) Coated in chopped dill & a little lemon rind julienne , wrapped in Plastic and bound tightly in a tea towel - which was then placed in the Dish Washer and set on a long cycle to poach it at 86 deg C ( conversion please ? ) twice as this gave a 12 min poaching time . I never let him do it , but I did work in a place years later that did something very similar but we replaced the washing machine with milk and the process was basically the same . 

13. vic cardenas

vic cardenas

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    - At a fast food joint I worked when I was a kid. A cook who was about to be fired took all the plastic forks and dipped the tips in the fryer for a few seconds, he pulled them out and while the plastic was still warm he would bend 2 spokes on one side down and 1 spoke on the other side down so it would resemble a hand giving you the finger! He did that for about half an hour to the entire box and then proceeded to stock the FOH fork bins with them so the customers would find them.

- Obligatory General Manager who would pull rotten food out of the trash and serve it to customers.

- Cooks making water balloons out of gloves and having a water balloon fight in the kitchen. Occasionally throwing them over the fryer.

- FOH staff filling a clean spray bottle with blue gatorade and going out onto the floor in front of customers and acting like he's cleaning stuff, occasionally pausing to spray some in his mouth for shock value. Most customers would "get it" and laugh, or ask him if it really was a chemical, but some would really freak out. The best part was when the GM grabbed it and started cleaning a window with it. He would wipe and it it would streak and he'd look at the bottle with a confused look and then spray and wipe again over and over about a dozen times, every time stopping and looking at the bottle and rag bewildered.  

14. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I have seen this done in a home dishwasher. It actually worked

15. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Any instructor ( or  so called one should never show his or her students that. You are doing both them and the public as well as yourself a disservice. There are many ways to salvage and bring things back. Teach them how not to let the items get like that in the first place.

16. mazaradhe

mazaradhe

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I could Go on for Hours.. Lmao.. been Cheffing too long..  Here is a few Choice memories. 

This was recently in a NYC kitchen I came into as the Exec. Line Chef Taking the Ice from the Calimari and Shrimp from the night before and putting it over the Carrots and celery sticks on the line. This same Fellow was caught pounding out chicken on his cold line, with the doors swung wide open. i actually showed him the chicken "flecks" on the produce and made him flip the line (but he had been doing this for maybe the two years he had been there before I got there, according to another line cook) This guy also washed his Taters and Romaine in the dishwasher, he claimed in broken english that he does indeed Pull the Soap wand out of the dispenser before he washes them (yet failed to empty the basin of food debris, not that that would have made washing stuff in the dishwasher cool, but at least.....  lol..) Ton's of these things with this guy, at first I just focused on re-training, at one point I realized the futility yet couldn't fire him. Until one morning he was playin "mubly-pegs {sp} with two pairing knives onto a cutting board, a tip broke off and embedded itself in my hand, that had just moved up to kinda cover my eye, so I could flip my hat around to look under a fridge.. Otherwise I might have lost an eye. he has since left food service =)

But on the Safety note, the following are not funny. As real people died or were seriously hurt.

Working in a Very large convention hotel kitchen, had recently been promoted to Exec Sous, with about 60 guys on my brigade's in Four kitchens. Early morning Sunday brunch, a young CIA grad was decorating a smoked haddock platter, slicing lemons on a mandolin. (I had corrected his technique a few times in the past, as he held his arm Parallel to the Mechanism) opened his wrist, bled out before anyone even noticed.

A porter, who had been there at least seven years before i got there, was doing his usual friday Oyster shucking when he stabbed his hand with the Knife (the cheap place I worked never kept new or functional glove's around, I was a New Chef who didn't know how to demand safety =( ) It didn't bleed alot, and He said he was cool, But I still sent him home a bit early with Dinner and a Six pack. He died during the night of Iodine Poisoning.

Sadly this was me..   I was carrying a *230 degree pan full of freshly seared 10 oz burgers tossed into a Boiling Au jus for a "Burger bar" at a very busy nightclub. It was double wrapped, I had two rags to carry it, Yet I went Maitre d style and put it on my shoulder, I was taking this out of the Kitchen, A Short hallway from the kitchen door to one of the dance floors, a Young waitress, clad in a Tube Top, came Racing, Bolted around the corner As I was yelling "CORNER" knocked this tray onto herself taking off most of her neck and chest skin to slough off. she lost most of that skin. And although it was Concluded that it was entirely her fault, and she got 13 million bucks, i still feel horrible about the some 20 years later,,, 

this is the most bizarre.  Again, Early in my Career. A tiny "fine Dining" place in the Sticks. Hour from town, But a pretty decent clientel. The late night Line guy was finishing up, Dishwasher and front of house people had already left. This guy decides to run the hood vent's through the Dishwasher, And to retrieve them he puts a sheet pan over the fryer bank wedged in between a wall and 6 foot Char grill to use it as a step. The pan slid off of course and one leg into the fryer, (this was an Old Bell fryer) and the other leg wedged in between the grill and fryer, effectively pinning him there. and sadly the fryer was still on (maybe to make his dinner? I don't know why) His wife found him dead two hours later when He failed to come home, and she went looking for him.  The Owner, the Next day, told me to clean the fryer that had cooked a mans leg off, and get it ready for service. This was the only time in my career I have punched My boss/owner. Knocked him out cold and walked off the job. Even more oddly three days later this same guy was Bitten by an Diamondback rattler on his outdoor patio at his restaurant, and died alone as well..

17. mazaradhe

mazaradhe

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    As Far a "bleaching" food, I sadly saw this too much while working as a consultant for a Chinese "mall food" concept in the early 90's. They would bring in these Chef's from China, pay them $600 a week (not horrible for the early 90's, but) and got them a little apt. again, not a horrible perk. But work these guys 80 hours a week minimum, During a opening One chef had clocked 107 hours that week. And the Corporate atmosphere was extremely strict on waste, and the Chef's happily complied, being beaten down as they were. But at no less than four of these places in Arizona/cali I found Bus tub's full of Grey, Bubbly chicken "marinating" No date but was informed (by a couple of the chefs} that they must sit for 10 days before service, to have time to properly marinate for just the right Chinese flavour profile of their Bourbon chicken . Not pickled, or preserved, simply rotting in the tub before service.

18. mazaradhe

mazaradhe

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    There is a place in Virginia, that has these old fashioned Top loading rack dishwashers, used just for this purpose, He would fill the rack with aprox 20 lbs of Misc clams, mussels, diced fish etc. add two bottles of Sautern and a Bouquet and run the thing for a full cycle, Dump the rack on a specially made steel tray, douse it with a Bottle of 151 and light it on fire, all the while throwing big butter balls into it. He called them Maytag party's and did at least one a day at the cost of $450 + grat =) actually tasty stuff....  lol

19. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
     And I thought I saw some wacky things.You have some winners.

One I won't forget . 2 cooks decided to bet $50.00 that one would put his hand past the wrist  into the fryolater, and because he did not feel heat it would not bother or hurt him ??

.. Well  he did win the wager  but  wound up in the emergency room and then 2 day stay,. Infection started to set in and another 2 days. This jerk almost lost his arm for $50.00.. Plus he lost about 2 weeks pay. It was not workmans comp because he elected to do so..

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  20. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    But the guy DID pay up, yes Chef? Would be tragic if he didnt.

Cant TELL y'all how many kitchen bets I've WON, only to be welched on. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif

(Never any foolish, self mutilating ones though.)

Mazaradhe has my vote: on BOTH stories.

Thems be what NIGHTMARES are made from! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

Had a relative working in a downtown hotel kitchen, co-carrying a barrel of 300° oil,

dropped one end, splashed down all over their leg, did a lot of damage. That one WAS

a work-comp case but what good does that do when you cant work, are in constant pain

and are maimed for life.