What The Heck Happened Here?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kaneohegirlinaz, Apr 26, 2013.

1. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    HELP! 

I made a batch of Rum Cake, split the recipe in two using the Bundt Twin Pans by Nordicware and, BAM! 

One cake is beautiful and the other, well, not so much.  It looks like it fell in the middle of the outside edge.  Not that I think that it would taste any different, it’s just not, just not, well gosh darn it, it's not PRETTY. 

What could have happened?

I didn’t use the convection setting, baked it as I always have 350 for 35-40 minutes for the 6cup size Bundt cakes.  I weigh each pan to be sure that I have equal amounts of batter in each…  ARGH!

2. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    my first hunch/ thought/ guess is that maybe baking two at a time on different shelves could be the culprit...did you bake them on the same rack or different ones? cakes are funny and fickle about that....have you baked two at a time before with good results? fwiw I kinda like the looks of the little guy...looks like a giant sized doughnut! bet you the flavor is wicked intense as well.

joey

3. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Send it to my house.  I'll eat it and tell you what I find to be the problem.  PM me for my address. 

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  4. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    YO!  My sista Joey!  So many Mahalos girlie for chiming in!  I always love to hear from you.  You hit the nail, I bake the two little guys on the same shelf in the hot box and I don’t rotate or nothin’.  AND you and I do think so much alike, I thought the same thing, a gigantic glazed cake do-nut!

5. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    LQTM...Iceman, my husband is funny about his food...he's not much on the sharing with others, especially if it's something that I made.  I made scratch pizza dough and put it in the deep freeze, since we are on the 'no white food' diet for now, WELL, I was going to give one to a neighbor and you would have thought his head was going to come off.  "you're goin' WHAT?"

6. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Iceman,
    no matter what the shape, those little gems are nothing less than righteous. Kgirl mailed me one of her rum 'cake in a can' for my birthday(complete with bday candles)........ scrumptious to the last crumb. get on her mailing list!!

joey

7. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    ... Okay so I made another duo last night and $#|!+ ... One of them is malformed, not as badly as the little guy in the photo, but... Could it be my oven? Possibly I need to bake one at a time? ARGHHHHH!!

8. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Mahalo, Thank you for those kind words Joey! I'm so glad that you enjoyed your birthday cake.
    Everyone needs to have a cake on their b-day, it doesn't matter how old we get. ;)

9. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Kgirl,
    so sorry for your frustration...I feel somewhat responsible as I don't think I was clear enough...too much playing and not enough paying attention I guess.....soooo, yes to both...
    A few thoughts for you....YOUR OVEN...you know your oven and how it bakes better than anyone, but you do need to check for hot spots consistently..I keep an oven thermometer in mine all the time and move it around, as i don't particularly trust the digital display. are you baking in a convection oven? reduced temp? cast iron pans? they usually call for a temp reduction as well, although I don't think that is your problem. i think it's your oven. at work I bake lots of loaf breads and cakes side by side and on different shelves at the same time, but at home I only use the same shelf if I'm baking pound cakes or sweet breads..for cakes I ALWAYS bake them one at a time.
    for cheesecakes and custardy things I use an alto sham, but that's neither here nor there.......hope this helps Kgirl...again, so sorry for your woes

joey

10. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    If you're baking your cakes on different levels of the oven, that probably accounts for the difference.

Preheat your oven for a long time, that helps to even out the side to side variations. 

The convection fan will even out the heat distribution quite a bit, but some people don't like it for pastry.  In your case, worth a try.  Remember that you'll have to lower the heat and/or reduce the baking time. 

Another trick to even out variations is to place a dish full of water on the bottom rack.  If you do use the water pan trick, make sure that your oven is completely up to temp, before putting your cake in.    

Since bundt cakes aren't particularly delicate and can stand a little handling and an open door for a minute, try rotating your pans so that each cake cooks for the same amount of time in the same parts of the oven.  If you are baking on different levels, this is a must.

Always check to make sure the cakes are completely cooked with a trussing needle or a bamboo skewer before removing. 

Finally, when you cool your cakes, use the "vestibule" method.  That is, turn off the oven, slide the cakes' rack out, slide the cakes to the front of the rack so they're above the oven's open door, and leave the cakes on the rack for at least half an hour before cooling them -- still in the bundt pans -- on a rack.  Don't turn them out until the pans until are cool enough to handle comfortably by hand. 

BDL

11. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    So here’s what I did:

6 cup Bundt pan two of them on the same rack in a 350conventional oven

Simple Rum bundt recipe (this does happen at all when I switch it to Kahlua though)

When I made the same recipe in a standard sized 12 cup pan, this does happen with the Rum cake.

12. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Sheer logic would tell me its the positioning in the oven. The oven could have what's called Hot Spots. Make sure when you pour batter in pan you smack them on the table to remove all air pockets in cake. Unless a convection oven most of heat in oven is towards top(heat rises( so try and put both on same shelf.  Good luck

13. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I had a hard time positioning the "ugly duckling" in my head.

Both are flipped so the bottom (pretty detailed part) is now the top, am I correct?

BDL posted something that gave me an idea.

Air pockets.

Don't know how one was perfect and one was not, but I may have a tip that will work.

You will need a large piping bag and tip with a large hole.

Fill the bag with batter and pipe it in, going round and round until all the batter is in the pan (give it a good smack on the counter to take care of any leftover air).

I use this technique to fill cupcake liners (the old scoop and dump was way too messy for me and I was getting air holes on the bottom more often than not).

mimi

Have you called the Nordic Ware customer service?

The ladies who run the troubleshooting area are all very helpful.

And nice...I felt like I was talking to my Gma, lol!

m.

14. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I ain't  an expert baker by any stretch, but I have a keyboard and I am alone at the moment, so you guys are in danger.

It looks to me like the one cake fell after removing it from the oven which would seem to indicate that it wasn't quite done even though the other one was fine.

I am used to ovens that have hot spots and cool spots and so basically I don't trust the things to cooperate with me and in fact think they are out to sabotage my efforts and make me look incompetent as far as baking goes. They aren't too far off base. At any rate, due to my insecurities, once I put something in the oven I go back in several times during the baking process to rotate pans, change sides, change levels, etc. etc. etc.

By any chance, if this has happened more than once, have you noticed if it has it always been from the same side?

My exit strategy from this thread, when all else fails, blame the oven /img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif This plan works the best for me and my fragile ego. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/blushing.gif

Stepping away from the keyboard now and returning control of this thread to the viewers.

15. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oh cheflayne, an expert baker always knows when to blame the oven!!!!
    what is curiouser and curiouser about the whole thing is that this doesn't happen at all with the Kahlua cakes(full or half sized), and it doesn't happen at all when the rum cake is full sized, only half sized.......maybe it's a combo of things.....flipflopgirl's observation and solution to air pockets is interesting.....I know you must be getting tired of this exercise but my suggestion would be to follow her advice with the batter AND also to rotate your pans....please don't give up though, they are just too good

joey
    just curious, do you use vanilla pudding mix in your recipe? It has nothing to do with anything, just curious......

16. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    @ Joey ... only her hair dresser knows for sure .../img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

17. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    @ BDL ... yup, yup and I while try the 'vestibule' approach

@ edB ... tried the logical approach by testing out the temps for cold/hot spots as well as I always give all of my cakes a good WHACK or two /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

@ mimi ... pastry bag idea sounds interesting... and I never thought to CALL Nordicware, I will do that manana, oh and yes, they are inverted bundts on a tray with a rack to cool and later to be emblemished

@ my braddah layne ... thank you for helpin' me out the other night! ... I'm looking at your camp, of it not being baked long enough.  The 'nice' cake is the kahlua and the ugly duckling is the rum, both cooked for the same of time

@ my sista' Joey, my ever present friend/cheerleader/advisor/confidant .. so many mahalos for your help, as always.

I AM NOT GIVING UP!

I will life to fight another day, I'll try this again!

18. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I wish that Panini would chime in!

Has anyone seen him?

19. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sadly Kgirl I think that panini has been baking cakes for the angels for the past few years.....yeah, I miss him as well

joey

20. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Kgirl: What a plight .

I would test your oven out. There could be a good possibility that you have hot spots. Everyone here has mentionned some great points.

Why it happened ? It can be anyone's guess.

When you sifted your flour and dry ingredients, did you make sure it was well incorporated ? ( I know you did but sometimes when it is not , an area could be subject to more baking powder/baking soda than another area if not blended/mixed enough )

Is this your first time baking two cakes at a time ?

Did you rotate your pans ?

Maybe insultaing your cake pans ?

How ? Try wrapping your cake pan in a damp towel ( take an old towel- cut 2 inch strips) or there are special insulated strips that are sold speciafically at a Baking Supply Store.

What does this do ? Well in a nutshell , it insulates the outside part of the cake and the whole cake rises more evenly.

Nordic ware has good customer service (as Mimi said) . Send them an email with the pic.

At first glance at your cakes, hot spots came to mind right away.

I don't think I have helped you much. Everyone pretty much covered the major points.

Wish I could help you more.