Chef Forum banner

What should I serve with Tacos?

4K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  EdwardParkernl 
#1 ·
Yep you heard it. I'm counting on you to give me ideas on what to serve with tacos that isn't beans and rice! :) I've been a bit complacent and I've been defaulting to the standard. I didn't even notice it until today that it is what I've been doing.

Simple tacos, steak tacos, shrimp tacos, but no beans and rice.

#5 ·
^ what he said
White onion (not yellow), cilantro, and lime for basic
There so many different kinds of tacos tho that it really depends
A nice guac and maybe a tomato salsa go beautifully with basic steak tacos
A roasted or raw tomatillo salsa (roasted is less tart and mellowed out) goes buetufully with pulled or sautéed chicken
You can also serve sliced cabbage and/or thinly sliced radish with lighter tacos, especially seafood
And pico de Gallo is always a hit with pretty much any taco
And nobody ever says no to caramelized onions

#7 ·
I like a quick pickled ginger, lime, honey red cabbage slaw and guac on my tacos. Corn tortillas only for me the corn taste cooked out in a hot pan. Oh and garlic Cholula hot sauce on mine thank you. Beans and rice on the side are good too, but not needed if the tacos are plentiful.

#14 ·
Beer and more tacos! They don't need a side dish in my opinion! If you want variety serve the suggestions above so guests can assemble their own taco the way they want it. I do a taco party every year and lay out just that. The meat, refried beans, choice of corn or soft tortilla, 3 cheeses, sour cream, salsa, taco sauce, then all the varieties of chopped veggies to ad don top as people desire.

#16 ·
I don’t understand the question. What’s wrong with beans and rice?

I’m usually too lazy to even make beans and rice and what do you really need a side for? Tacos are a pretty complete meal in themselves. I do however like very thinly sliced cabbage salad to go with it.

#25 ·
I'd serve tacos with whatever fixings, then sides of papas fritas and fried plantains, and a huge tropical mixed fruit salad~mango, papaya, pineapple. Fresh oysters on the shell topped with a fun salsa.
Call it good for food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.