What should I do with all this dairy?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by whitepan, Nov 2, 2015.

1. whitepan

whitepan

Exp:
    At home cook
    I recently made chowder for a large family gathering, but over-estimated the amount of milk and cream I would need, and now I have a surplus. Any ideas for what I can use it for so that it doesn't go bad? Cream soups or something?

2. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Cream can be used for whipping and on top of all kinds of things and you could make it into homemade butter(save the buttermilk to make fried chicken). Milk could be used to make potato soup, beer cheese soup, little bit in mashed potatoes, most pancake/waffle(freeze well! Reheat in waffle iron!) recipes call for it. Pudding and custards also...

3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    ice cream and semifreddo

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Pasticchio or moussaka with a very generous layer of bechamel.

Mac n cheese

Custard for trifle

Make mozzarella or ricotta

Rice pudding

Milk pudding

Panna cotta

5. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    If its whole milk get some buttermilk and make a "farmer cheese cheesecake" like I did.  It's a medium difficulty thing the first time, but so worth the effort.  I'm thinking about doing a pumpkin version for Thanksgiving.

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/87090/september-2015-challenge-cheese/90   Its half the way down the page.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  6. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    You might try freezing the milk in ice cube trays, etc and use as needed. There are several tips on the web re same.

Use it in French toast, in coffee, soups, sauces (white for pasta or veg lasagna), pink (tomato vodka), Alfredo, baking or everyday cooking needs.

Or, pour a tall cold glass, and dunk your oreos in it.

Licuados are another option - milk, fruit and ice - a Latin American sort of smoothie. Wanted to share a link for the got milk site, but no longer able to find it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015