Chef Forum banner

WHat rank should I go for?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  chefwriter 
#1 ·
Hello
I'm looking for some advice on what position I should go for now.
Please note I am asking about the English System which is different from the America system. We don't use the term line cook we call a beginner chef a Commis then the next rank is a CDP with some places having a Demi CDP in between.
So I am asking the question to chefs who understand he English system.

So I recently did a temporary stint in a fine dining Hotel. I have around 3 years experience. Right now I would say I would be confident in starters and deserts in most places. I wouldn't be confident on the sauce section or the pass. Although I do know how to do a lot of stuff in sauce running it and doing to the right standard is another thing. So I couldn't say I could run it.
So I'm not sure if I should go for a CDP position yet or not. Although I have met CDP's with less skill than me. I suppose it largely depends on what the place wants. Some places are happy with that others want you to be able to run the pass and sauce section.
So should I go for a Commis position or a CDP? OR should I just ask what the individual place wants from a CDP?

#2 ·
You're right in that it depends on the place.

A chef de partie at some place is just some cook that has a little more experience than the entry level cook, and s/he got that title just to go with his/her raise on the pay scale.

At other places, a chef de partie is a super skilled cook that is highly respected in the kitchen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.