WHat rank should I go for?

Joined Feb 16, 2014
Hello
I'm looking for some advice on what position I should go for now.
Please note I am asking about the English System which is different from the America system. We don't use the term line cook we call a beginner chef a Commis then the next rank is a CDP with some places having a Demi CDP in between.
So I am asking the question to chefs who understand he English system.

So I recently did a temporary stint in a fine dining Hotel. I have around 3 years experience. Right now I would say I would be confident in starters and deserts in most places. I wouldn't be confident on the sauce section or the pass. Although I do know how to do a lot of stuff in sauce running it and doing to the right standard is another thing. So I couldn't say I could run it.
So I'm not sure if I should go for a CDP position yet or not. Although I have met CDP's with less skill than me. I suppose it largely depends on what the place wants. Some places are happy with that others want you to be able to run the pass and sauce section.
So should I go for a Commis position or a CDP? OR should I just ask what the individual place wants from a CDP?

Joined Sep 26, 2017
You're right in that it depends on the place.

A chef de partie at some place is just some cook that has a little more experience than the entry level cook, and s/he got that title just to go with his/her raise on the pay scale.

At other places, a chef de partie is a super skilled cook that is highly respected in the kitchen.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Go for the highest position your skills and knowledge will allow. Its the only way you are going to grow as a professional.

Incidentally, the kitchen brigade system is not unheard of in the US. :)

Joined Jan 17, 2015
I think you can go for CDP, you will be able to run a section and you will not be expected to know everything. Confidence chrisbristol, confidence....

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Regardless of the system, pick whichever station you are confident in doing, then go for the one above it. The general requirements of each station are the same-cleanliness, organization- while the specifics may differ. You won't learn by not doing.

Top Bottom