what -no Oscar thread?

Joined Feb 11, 2002
Okay , I know I live in a town that's obsessed- but what about them Oscars?
I'm so happy - first year I haven't had to actually cook for anyone( had a shot at the Elton John party, but restaurant's not open yet)... got to hang out,
order in take out (Thai food) and yell at my tv screen....
Any body see Gosford Park? And what's up with J.Lo's Cholita/prom hairdo?...

Just wondering...:)

Joined May 11, 2001
I went to a Malaysian dinner party last night and we watched the first hour together. I unfortunately missed the last hour or so because it was past my bedtime plus the first three hours were quite boring.

I was rooting for LOTR, but then that was the only nominated movie I had seen. I don't go very often and usually prefer foreign films when I do get a chance.

Clothes were not exciting -- made me miss Cher. J-Lo's hair made her look like a Pekingnese (dog). I didn't think Halle Berry's dress was all that great, but she made it look fantastic -- to have that body... But I'm not giving up good food.

Joined Feb 11, 2002
I like your description, Risa!
Everybody wants to look tasteful so they don't get yelled at by Joan Rivers (cow!) and the fashion police -
I think it's a conspiracy among the stylists and designers who set the tone - ;)
Did Gweneth Paltrow not look in the mirror before she left the house??? (Where was her fashion handler?)

My favorite was Sydney Poitier - I've loved him ever since I saw
"To Sir, with Love" as a kid... he always represented 'the best' of what a person can be...

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Sidney Poitier was a class act; and of course I expected him to be. He's a humble man, and deserves all the praise he gets. And then there's Halle Berry, who must've thought she won something much bigger than she did. I was so embarrassed for her and her over-the-top reaction. I wish Sissy Spacek had won, and I'm so glad Ron Howard got the recognition he deserves.

Joined Jul 24, 2001
I saw Grosford Park
Of course I liked it A LOT

I wish it was Sissi Spacek too

Did you see that film? It was a great film

I am glad the "Gladiator" didn't get his Oscar...
and although I like the tall red head, too much promotion, she got to my nerves...

Joined May 11, 2001
That tall redhead sure made "Bridget Jones" Renee look like she's only 5 ft tall when they were standing together during the Pre-Oscar show.

According to the news this morning, Halle Berry really did win more than she did. She made history as the first black woman ever to win Best Actress and in the presence of Mr. Sidney Poitier. That may not mean much to the rest of us, but it seems to have meant a great deal to her and to the black population. I don't know if she deserved to win since I didn't see Monster's Ball, but she was a popular winner amongst her peers. In any case, I'm sure she was better than the tall redhead because I'm still not convinced that Miss Moulin Rouge can act. She always just seems to be cold and steely.

Did anyone catch the short montage at the beginning of the show? I recognized at least a couple of famous chefs, Alice Waters and Rocco diSpirito.

Joined Mar 4, 2000
I gathered from Ms. Berry's speech that she was the first woman of color to win (in that category?), and I don't want to make light of that, because it's about time!! But it's an Oscar, for goodness sake! She seemed to think she was elected president or something!

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
I'm glad Halle Berry won her Oscar even though I really wanted Sissy Spacek to win just to prove you can be over 40 and have good roles. Think about it for a second an Oscar is a recognition of talent, a symbol meaning you are at the top of your career. And woman gets there while they are in their late twenties or early thirties?

Of course for a man it's very different. They get their Oscar later in life, when they have character lines, man never have wrinkles. Ever notice women are always pair with much older man. Don't get me wrong I love Harrison Ford but having him with every nymphets under thirties is not a portrait of the reality. Having him with Meryl Streep would be more realistic and can you imagine the sparkles?

It won't be good for the box office you'll hear. Teenagers are the target audience. That's why you'll see film with such idiotic title as Deuce Bigalow Male Gigolo. And I won't even talk about the content of the film. How could I? I never saw it.

What was I saying? Oh yes the Oscar last night. It was long, as usual, entertaining and it's nice to see a good film win once in a while. And Sidney Poitier, to see him I'd wait all night. What a gentleman.

Joined Jul 24, 2001
And what do you think about Randy Newman ?

He was right, this Oscar to him, was like charity. !6 nominations 1 award and he writes beautiful music...

Joined Mar 26, 2002
I like your description o J. Lo Risa... :p

The Oscar was way too long and boring. I had to wait until the very last hour to see who won the Best Picture, Actor and Actress :mad: And since I'm on the East Coast, it didn't end till around 1am! Anyhow, I wished Lord of the Rings could've won Best Picture though.

Joined Nov 29, 2001
Are you insane? Seventy four years have gone by. Say it with me...S e v e n t y F o u r Y e a r s - with a black actress never recognized as "best actress" although some have put forth extremely compelling performances - and you think her reaction was over the top???

Whenever a glass ceiling crashes, it's a milestone. Your tiny drop of cynicism won't pollute the victory. She was right, that moment was much bigger than she was - and you're definitely smaller than you give yourself credit.

Joined Feb 6, 2002
Not everyone knows what's been going on with Black Actors/Actresses and the rest of hollywood. Im black (although many Afro-Americans tell me Im not) and I realized the importance of the situation. In all the years of the oscars Ive never watched until now. Only once with Sidney did they ever give one of their precious oscars to a black person.

It is just like being black and trying to hail a cab in NYC. Ive have them drive past me to pick up the blonde. I dont think that anyone who is not latino, afro-american, african, caribbean or sometimes even asian would understand how it is to live in this country for us. Since Halle won, there is now hope that there could be a chance for all of us who aspire to have that kind of career.

This moment was akin to when the first woman was made CEO or Exec. But don't expect them to give another one away again too soon. Wont happen. I dont fault momo for not knowing what was going on. If something of importance was going on with white america, I'd be clueless. Like "what's the big deal about that"

PS

You can try this test if you want to understand a little bit of the problem. Call up a real estate agent about an apt in the rich part of town and try a phony "ghetto" accent and see how far you get. Then call back with a "cali" or "white" accent and see how fast they will want you to come down and see the place. I remember being told "Ma'am, I don't think you would be able to afford the rent here but I will give you a number for an agency in Brooklyn that can accomodate you."

And to answer Momo. She was the first black woman to win.....ever. Not just in that category. :)

Joined Jul 24, 2001
I won't make a comment on the writting "style" of your post.

Instead, I will try to "amuse" myself with the fact that you accuse Momoreg, the most peaceful and reasonable person in Chef Talk of being cynical and small.

That was funny indeed.

Back to the discussion.

Being black or pink or yellow or green doesn't make you a better actor. If you think that it does let me know.

edited to add "pink or yellow or green "

Joined Apr 19, 2001
Hubbie works at entertainment news at ABC Radio - they did a lot of 'live' interviews after the awards, and this is one they received sort of 'third party' from Denzel Washington:

A reporter came up to Denzel after the awards, and asked, "How long do you think it's going to be until the word 'black' is gone from describing who won the awards?" Denzel looked at the reporter, and asked him, "Who do you write for?" The fellow said, "------Newspaper". Denzel looked at him again, and just said, "Why don't YOU start right now, by not using the term 'black'?!"

Right on, Denzel! Who, by the way, is also a wonderful family man; when asked what party he was going to after the Oscars, he said, "Well, I told my kids that if I lost, I would be home, and if I win I'll be home, and we'll party". What a guy!!!

Joined Feb 6, 2002
Let's get back to those nice fluffy topics of clothes and hair. Especially J Lo's and the lady from There's something about Mary. I cant tell whos do was worse. And Gwyn should shoot her stylist. Her dress was AWFUL.

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Debating is when you exchange arguments on ideas.

When you hit a person for having an opinion different than yours you are not debating.

If people cannot debate they'd better stick on discussing hair and clothes.

Ok??

Joined Feb 6, 2002
Sorry, couldn't think of the word I wanted to use Athenaeus :). I believe we should stick to the clothes and hair. Much more fun. :lol: Plus, Ive been on both sides of that war of the words. Very dangerous territory to be treading in.

I think Momo has a right to her opinion without being yelled at too. Chiff was being way too sensitive. If Halle isnt fighting about it why should we?

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I am glad you stated that opinion Shewntycat,

Because I was thinking of closing this thread.

We all have rights to our own opinions, however their is no place for public "showing off" at others exspence.

If someone has a personal opinion on a topic that they feel strongly about and have the need to embaress someone else,

DO IT IN PRIVATE

Latest posts

Top Bottom