What music do you like to listen to while cooking?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by halmstad, May 26, 2010.

1. halmstad

halmstad

Exp:
    Line Cook
    when my girlfriend isn't home i listen to jazz like miles, trane, herbie hancock and others stuff like grateful dead, and lots of funk like james brown, sly, prince and funkadelic.

what do ya'll listen to when you're throwing down some food at home?

2. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    a fine mix of heavy metal, classic rock, punk, and the occasional old hits mixed in, La Vie en Rose for example.

3. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Mostly classical, although I am presently listening to Jamie Cullum and Paolo Nuttini.

4. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Ishbel,

I really enjoy these two songs he is jamming with his band.

Growing up Beside you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wBJUnGPvq4

Pencil full of lead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wBJUnGPvq4 ....oh best of all I got my baby.....dance this in the kitchen......

And of course ...Candy !

And Alloway Grove.....the ending which you can only listen to on his CD as its not on youtube....well the very last part of that song.... it just brings tears.....I typed them out and they are on my desk at home.

5. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I usually love the quiet, but sometimes, especially if i have a long day of cooking ahead, like for a party, i like choral music, played loudly - Bach, mainly, but also others, as long as it's baroque.  And the best is to sing along. 

6. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Don't know if Paolo's version of 'Caledonia' is on Youtube - I like his version!

7. halmstad

halmstad

Exp:
    Line Cook
    i really need to start listening to some classical music!

8. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It all depends on my mood and who is home.  If it's just me and I'm jacked up then it is hardcore industrial (KMFDM, Ministry, Front 242, etc.) or old school and 80's punk (The Clash, New York Dolls, The Pixies, Sonic Youth, etc).  If I'm feeling upbeat maybe some new swing or Frank and the Boys.  If the daughter and/or wife is home then I'm probably listening to Top 40.  If I'm doing something mindless and repetative then I might go for something with a little more trip-hop or late night lounge feel (Massive Attack, Tricky, Hooverphonic, Ministry of Sound).  If I'm feeling a little ethnic then I usually reach for stuff with a latin or island beat, or most usually the Gipsy Kings.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  9. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Good music Pete....

I was just checking my emails and someone sent me this video. These 3 boys are teens, and sound just like

Luciano Pavarotti

Jose Carreras

Placido Domingo....singing " O Sole Mio "....

http://www.wimp.com/threetenors/

Beautiful....plain and simple.

Now Boudabar has come out with a bunch of CD's which I really enjoy listening to. It does not stick to one country but a flavor of many countries., just a sample....but some of the tunes are so calming and enchanting....

10. skatz85

skatz85

Exp:
    Line Cook
    a lil bit of everything, radio is good maybe some oldies.

11. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ah Petals, That was lovely. Whod've thought 3 boys could carry that off!

Long time no speak how things. Good to see u.

Music just now is Florence and the machine she's amazing. Chopin piano conchertos and jim Croce. Inbetween bbc radio 1

12. missyd

missyd

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    Pete:

Great choices - haven't listened to KMFDM in ages - I think I'm going to have to bust some of my old cd's out  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

13. slayertplsko

slayertplsko

Exp:
    At home cook
    Anything really, but there was a time when I would listen only to a 4CD set of 1930s/40s recordings of Brahms symphonies.

14. psgpkr

psgpkr

Exp:
    At home cook
    Traditional country, surf and doo-wap.

15. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OMG another surf aficionado, hell yes the only way to go, especially in a busy restaurant kitchen when the tickets start to fly. I applaud you sir or madam!

16. nathan kreider

nathan kreider

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Depending what station I'm working, if it's Larder, I listen to whatever is playing in the restaurant which is generally Frank Sinatra, etc, because the Larder in our kitchen is open to the restaurant. But if I'm working on dessert or doing prep on the dessert section, I plug in my iPod, listen to Metal, Hardcore, Dubstep, UK Hardcore, anything that plays, get's me well into the prep mood, especially when it's a quiet service, so the other apprentice watches larder while I do about 8 hours of prep.

17. li4m79

li4m79

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Drum & Bass, or some cheesy 90's stuffs!

18. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    NO WAY! I thought I was the only one!. I've left copies of my Dick Dale mix at the last few places I've worked. Harry Mancini is also fun.

19. geronomo

geronomo Banned

Exp:
    At home cook
    Rihanna, salsa music, west life or MTV songs.

20. dustbunny

dustbunny

Exp:
    At home cook
    Depends on the mood but lately it has been Mumford and Sons and Alternative stations on Pandora. I like the British Invasion station too.