What knifes for amateur?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by crazytouch, Jul 29, 2014.

1. crazytouch

crazytouch

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi
    Am have 21 year Old and i'm amateur in Cook. I dont know what knife should be my next. Now i have a global G-2 its chef knife, and now i thinking to buy next one but i dont know what Type should it be. I thinking about santoku but i dont know it will be good for me. If any one can Say what Type of knife i should buy i will be glad. Its not must be from Global but plz Type only knife with near price to it.

Sorry for my bad English ;P

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    A santoukou may be too similar to your existing chef knife.  Suggest you think about the following: paring knife, bread knife, boning knife, carving knife with carving fork, and a longer chef knife before a santoukou

3. crazytouch

crazytouch

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yes my g-2 is very sharp im sharpening it on water Stones whit grad 1000 and finish with 3000. Idk what is OP ;)

Ok i know what knife but now wonna know from what company. Because global i think is made from soft metal and it dull fast.

4. bayoubyrnes

bayoubyrnes

Exp:
    Private Chef
    A Paring knife would be your best bet after a good Chef's knife. I use my Chef's knife the most, and right behind it, I'm constantly picking up my Paring knife. For a great blade for a decent price, I'd suggest a Wusthof Paring Knife. I use the Wusthof Classic 3.5" for $40, or you can go with the Wusthof Grand Prix 3.5" for $23. It's definitely the next piece you should add.

As for your "soft metal G-2", for a better knife, I'd suggest the Victorinox Fibrox 8" Chef's knife, $40. Holds a edge well, and the occasional running on a steel and it slices like new. 

If you're using your knife enough that you have to sharpen it often, buy a better knife. And as soon as you have these two knives, buy yourself a Honing Steel. Wusthof makes an excellent one. 

Oh, "OP" means Original Poster.

-Bayou

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  5. bayoubyrnes

bayoubyrnes

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Looks like I have a bit to learn as well. Thank you.

6. crazytouch

crazytouch

Exp:
    At home cook
    Okey thanks but Benuser i can sharp that knife on water Stone or it be hard?

Idk but for me fast chop onion with that g-2 is hard maybe i dont Learn use it enough or it to long ;P and i search knife for fast job like that.

And Yes my Stone need to be stropped but 1000 grad. And here is next question. How i can easy stropped it in home?

7. robertoo

robertoo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I think you don't understand benutser good; Instead of steeling your knife You can touch up your knife with the 3000 stone and your knife will be sharp again

8. crazytouch

crazytouch

Exp:
    At home cook
    I sharp knife with 15 deegre angle. But i ask about stroping my water Stone Because i do a Little chips on the side;)

9. crazytouch

crazytouch

Exp:
    At home cook

I know that and i think something like on that picture can be do with only sharper like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001CQTLJM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1406748458&sr=8-1

With water Stones you always get a good cutting EDGE. Im right?

And what Type of knife is the Best to fast chop something or slide carrot or cucumber? And what size should it be?