What kitchen hints can you share with the rest of us?

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Somehow I imagine she will be busy.... :D

Our kids started this well before they teethed, and stopped well before they were done. My theory is much simpler: at that age, the taste buds and palate haven't developed all that fully, so stronger tastes can be exciting and interesting. Sucking on a lemon produces a remarkable burst of sensory information, and that's basically funny to babies. When they get older and their palates get more sensitive, they start shying away from tastes this strong, and that's when you stat getting all the tedious fussiness. Babies will happily eat anything, really; the main concern is not to let them eat anything that could choke them.

But for example, my son Sam once flatly refused some baby food. I tasted it to show him it was yummy, and found it was utterly disgusting. I felt it needed sourness, salt, and some kind of taste complexity, so I added a small drop of hot sauce. He loved it. We have photos of him sucking on a (closed) hot sauce bottle, which he did regularly for the next month or two. He wanted more! And he got it, once in a while.

Give babies what you're eating, minus the textures they can't handle, and they'll love it. Lemons? What's the problem: if you like a little lemon on your fish or chicken or whatever, why would you be surprised if the baby wants some lemon too?

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Ants hate talcum powder. Try sprinkling some around their entry points if you can pinpoint them. It confuses the heck out of them :)

Left-over soup can be pureed (if not already pureed), sieved and made into a sauce. Use it for coating pasta, or boiled/steamed potatoes, or as you please.

Joined Aug 18, 2007
Dry orange peel (no pith) slowly in the oven. (low heat overnight) then grind finely. I use to sprinkle over salads, pork chops. Or add to caster sugar and sprinke over deserts.

It has a very intense flavour and keeps very well in a jar

Use eggshell to remove egg shell chips in liquid. Works better than a finger or a teaspoon. Something to do with surface tension i think.

Joined Aug 30, 2008
For the bread/baking recipes I make the most frequently, I’ve typed up just the list of ingredients and baking time and tape them to the inside of my cupboards just above my baking area. I can open the cupboard see my cheat sheet of measurements instead of pulling out a recipe card or book.

I keep several sets of measuring spoons and measuring cups in baskets. When I’m baking, I simply pull out the basket that is full of 4 sets of measuring cups so it is easy to grab what I need (instead of opening the cupboard over and over). This also makes unloading the dishwasher a quicker process as well.

I keep a conversion chart of measurements taped to the side of my fridge to speed the process when doubling or tripling recipes.

When lemons and limes go on sale, I buy tons of them and juice them all at once. I then freeze the juice in ice cube trays, then transfer to ziplock bags so I always have fresh lemon juice and lime juice on hand.

Emily

Joined Jun 21, 2007
Sadly my husbands mother passed
a week ago. She had great hints like using a pocket protector inside her cupboard door with a notepad (the cardboard hard back inside pp) pages hanging out and a pencil hanging from a string. Every time she used something in the kitchen, she immediately wrote it down there cause later on the week that became her grocery list rip out and take to Von'sc

Joined May 29, 2006
To clean a deep at fryer after cooking something that crumbs apart. Break an egg into it while still hot , throw shell and all, it coagulates and draws scraps into itself then pick out with skimmer or slotted spoon and disgard.

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Luv Pie - I've deleted my message I put here - it was not directed at you in the least way. The idiot was littering the forum with absolutely disgusting messages and I posted what I did as I was so angry - please check your private messages for apology in full.

I won't go iinto detail of what the poster's messages contained. There is no point, but it was disgusting.

My apologies for posting it on your thread.

Daina

Joined Jun 21, 2007
Freeze citrus peels, garlic cloves, ginger.
It's easy to use the rasp on them if they're frozen.

Joined Jun 21, 2007
you're welcome.
yesterday while making "the perfect cake" I juiced all my various oranges.
put them in ice cube trays and froze them solid then transferred to zip bag and they'll be there when I need them for sauces etc.
about the peels, I'd cut them in half for the purpose of juicing in the juicer and in half they went into the freezer in a zip bag. it took me three seconds flat, ok maybe a few more, BUT VERY QUICK to rasp 1 T of zest from them.

Joined Jun 21, 2007
Thanks DC, I had already gotten that info from a Mod.
As you see I thought I did something wrong and
I deleted my post too not knowing. :( it wasn't important seriously)

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Understood LuvPie- I don't want any bad feeling :)

Another cooking/kitchen tip -

Don't store potatoes in the fridge - they hate it and slime up really fast. Store them in a cardboard box in a cool spot away from the light, on a bed of folded newpapers. Take them out of their plastic bag (if they were in one). If they are just brushed and not washed - leave the dirt on, they keep longer that way.

Joined Jul 16, 2009
I'm loving this thread right now! Hah, lots of great tips.
I've been copying and pasting into my notepad so much that I haven't had time to think of any tips or tricks myself, :crazy: but I'll be revisiting to add stuff.

Thanks guys!

Joined Jun 21, 2007
You know those potatoes with the eyes that form on them?
Don't toss them in the trash, put in dirt in yard, water, and if right time of year, you'll get a harvest

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Re planting potatoes - there's some good ideas in the garden forum about vertical planting for spuds, I think by KYH (forgive me if I'm mistaken). But is goes thru making the most of your vertical space if you've got limited garden space. Think it was about 1- 1 1/2 years ago. Worth checking out if you are wanting to try something new. Can get a rotating crop of them going nicely.

Another tip - when making burgers with diced onion inside the meat, saute your onions off first then drain and allow to cool. (I usualy do diced onions, diced bcon, diced mushrooms in same pan for the family favourite - helps get moisture out of the mushrooms and the bacon flavours the shrooms and onions)

Otherwise if you are not using them straight away, the onions can go grey and 'orrible looking.

Joined Jan 2, 2007
BOIL an egg to perfection without costly egg timers by popping it into boiling water and driving away from your home at exactly 60mph. After five miles, phone your wife to take the egg out the pan.

BANGING two pistachio nut shells together gives the' impression a very small horse' is approaching.

Vegetarians coming to dinner? Simply serve them a nice bit of steak or veal. Since they`re always going on about how tofu, Quorn, meat substitute etc `tastes exactly like the real thing, they won't know any difference.

Invited by vegetarians for dinner? Point out that since you`d no doubt be made aware of their special dietary requirements, tell them about yours, and ask for a nice steak.

DRILL a one inch diameter hole in your refrigerator door. This will allow you to check that the light goes off when the door is closed.

Avoid cutting yourself while clumsily slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

Use sand instead of sugar in your tea. Can be re-used many times, and has far fewer calories.

Joined Apr 3, 2009
When measuring honey, use a drop of oil on a piece of paper tower and wipe the inside of the measuring tool first and the honey will not stick and just slide out.

Also when going to the fridge to get a beer always ask if anyone else needs one :crazy:

Top Bottom