What kind of glazing is this? [PIC]

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by merar, Mar 10, 2013.

1. merar

merar

Exp:
    At home cook
    http://postimage.org/image/i0j11gmnl/

Not the chocolate part driziling over the cake but the marbled part. The marble effect I think was done with caramel, I know it can be hard to be determine through a photo but I think this kind of glazing isn't really uncommon. Anyone has any idea? Thanks in advance you guys!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Picture wont come up.

3. merar

merar

Exp:
    At home cook
    Can you please check now?

4. chef bruce

chef bruce

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Maybe like a napoleon, with fondant striped and drag a knife through

5. merar

merar

Exp:
    At home cook
    I don't think this is a fondant though, I am guessing it has something to do with powdered sugar.

Any ideas?

6. jcakes

jcakes

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Wild guess: a thin layer of white chocolate ganache glaze, with scribbles of dark chocolate while it is still fluid, so the dark chocolate marbles and "melts" into the soft ganache a little.

The cut side does not look sharp, but it doesn't drag down, either.  At first I though tit might have been a white chocolate disk of some sort, but if it were, the cut edge might not be so smooth all along the edge, it would have shattered if it had been place on the cake before it was cut. It could even be the type of crust on this dessert.  Do you have a description of what it is (was)?

7. merar

merar

Exp:
    At home cook
    I went all the way and bought it. I tried to make poured fondant at home (recipe I got from the internet, not sure if it was successful), If you see the cake you notice that the topping is a cover by itself and be removed as a blanket, would a poured fondant do that? The one I just made was denser and sticks to whats beneath. The topping itself is very smooth and not sticky at all! 

8. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I see that you have spooned some from the point.

Did you eat it?

Was it creamy?

What did it taste like?

I ask because, to me, looks likes a custard of some sort.

Thick and shiny, egg yolk based..maybe a curd?

mimi

9. merar

merar

Exp:
    At home cook
    I don't think so because you can remove it (think of it as a blanket on the cake) it tasted sweet, no specific flavor. This is why I think powder sugar is involved somehow.

10. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Can you peel it all the way off in one layer?
    Taste a bit and describe it.
    Is it chewy?
    Could be a gelatin based topping.
    Why don't you just ask them?
    Surprising the amt of info you will get just by asking nicely.

mimi

11. merar

merar

Exp:
    At home cook
    mimi they don't know. This is a cafe not a bakery, they receive these cakes and sell they have no idea other than the basic layers LOL come on give me more credit than that I search for recipes wherever I go but unfortunately almost impossible to track down the source.

12. merar

merar

Exp:
    At home cook
    Oh as for the taste it is not chewy and very sweet, which is why I think powder sugar is involved some how. Some people suggested it is poured fondant but I tried it at home and the result was not the same (not this blanket-y thing)

13. dobzre

dobzre

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Could be glaçage with too much gelatin.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  14. merar

merar

Exp:
    At home cook
    mimi this is a cafe,they do not know, they receive the cakes and then sell them. you would be surprised to see the limit I go for to get recipe but tracking this one was impossible for me!

15. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    That is exactly what I think it is.

Petals.

16. merar

merar

Exp:
    At home cook
    I did taste it few minutes ago and I did taste WHITE CHOCOLATE. Supposedly it is a glacage wouldn't the end result be sticky? I tried something similar but it came out sticky and not like this one. I touched it several times but you won't even see my fingerprint on it. Check this picture I have been saving this cake in my fridge to figure out what on earth is this layer!! I peeled it here a bit. It peels of like a blanket but sticks to the layer beneath,

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  17. jcakes

jcakes

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I agree with Dobzre and Petals; it's a white chocolate mirror glaze (aka glacage).  With a good quality white chocolate, you'll get the yellowish tone, and you might not need to add extra gelatin to it; and it will be sweet, and you'll be able to peel it back when it's chilled and cut.  The second picture is much better than the first one!

18. merar

merar

Exp:
    At home cook
    I've never tried to make white chocolate glaze but I did make chocolate glaze several times with gelatine and the end result was "sticky" glaze. I mean if you were to put your finger on it even after cooling it would still get on your finger, so how does that differ in this case? Do you have a recipe in mind I can do an experiment? The ones I find online are chocolate glaze