What kind of equipment have you use to grind up alot of Large Thick Cassia Bark

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by ventiangal, Apr 3, 2013.

1. ventiangal

ventiangal

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    hey everyone.I hope you can help me, I have a small business and make chai tea.

I need to coarsely grind up 5-6 kilos of cassia bark every month.  Its getting tiring and long grind it in the blender.  I think even the motor will eventually blow on the Kenwood blender if I dont change it soon.

I've really looked into this, but I have not found any advise..

the sticks I get a very thick and long, but i break them by hand and jump them on top of the box to break it down before I get to put it in the blender...

I also ground up 5-6 kilos of cardamom pods, cloves and star anise as well.. 

I would love to know how to grind in down these spices into small chips quickly and easily, without all the dust that flies everywhere from my method.. 

Im not a professional cook, I have googled but can't find the right kind of grinder..

Not sure what im even supposed to be looking for.. 

Do you have any suggestions that would help?

2. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    There are a couple of other threads on the forum that address your question. Just put the term "spice grinder" in the search bar and you will find them easily.

3. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    At 10 - 12 kilos/month, your duty cycle is kind of betwixt and between.  A small spice mill like the Waring GS30 ($130) is going to be too small and incredibly inconvenient; while a large specialty grinder, like the Santos, at $1000,

will probably seem too expensive. 

The best alternative is probably some sort of decent commercial quality burr style coffee grinder.  For instance, you can probably find a used Super Jolly in the $350 range.  Be aware that any burr grinder (including the expensive, big-boys like the Santos) will require regular cleaning and re-seasoning so that one spice doesn't taste like the leftovers of whatever was previously ground. 

BDL

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  4. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    FWIW I just sold a Mazzer Super Jolly at CoffeeGeek.com in the $375 range.  Replacement burrs will run around $50 and grind around 450# of coffee beans into espresso powder.  All of this to give you an idea of the expense.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013