What is your preferred brand of "prepared" Mayonnaise?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by nicko, May 18, 2016.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    From time to time I will make my own mayo but I also like to have some on hand that is already prepared. I was looking for recommendations from the community on what brands of mayo you use for everyday. 

Please don't post "I make my own" looking for prepared brand recommendations only. Thanks.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Kewpie is really good. Visit your Asian grocer and give some a try.

I'm fine with Hellmans/Best Foods too. It's the same mayo, just branded differently east to west.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  3. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hellman's, full fat

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    For mayo, it's Hellman's all the way, but I have to admit, when it comes to many sandwich applications, and a few other uses as well, I often reach for Miracle Whip.  I do make homemade, occasionally.  Not sure why I don't make it more often as it is really simple to make.

5. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Hellmans. 

6. thespit

thespit Banned

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    unilever which owns hellmans/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

7. luis de vence

luis de vence

Exp:
    Line Cook
    II've never used Hellmans, but something tells me Hellmans would be my go to favorite If I could find it here.

I use Kraft at home. Venezuela doesn't have many brands other than the Kraft imported mayo or the Mavesa brand which taste the same as Kraft to me. The delicatessen sells some artesenal mayos, but not worth it.

I whip up my own mayo when I'm home on the weekends and want to woo one of my lucky visitors. Hehe.

8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hellmans all the way.  They make one with olive oil which is not bad but I think it also has other oils in it as well. 

9. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    West of the Mississippi: Best Foods.

10. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hellmans always

11. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Kewpie is great...basically mayo with MSG. It can be addicting. I find it smoother than Hellmans. 

Also, nobody said Duke's yet. If you live in the South, Duke's is awesome. Used to be my go to, but now I can't find it where I live. So I use Hellmans or Kraft. 

The Kraft mayo is surprisingly good. I like it even more than Hellmans. 
    I'm pretty sure the post was about Mayo, not God-forsaken abomination demon-babies like Miracle Whip. 

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Miracle Whip is an acquired taste but I guess once you've acquired it there's no looking back at real mayo again.

13. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    My wife says that also. We always have both since half the family is Best Foods and the other half is MW.

14. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Each has it's own uses.  For most deli meat sandwiches I prefer MW, but for most salad type applications (potato, pasta, etc.) I prefer mayo.  When it comes to sandwiches beyond deli meats, it really depends on what is in the sandwich.

15. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I come from a MW family but switched to the dark side (Hellman's) in high school.

The fisherman is pure MW but will eat my tuna salad with mayo...I just use a tiny bit and he adds MW to his serving.

mimi

@Someday  a few years ago and with a huge amt of advertising Duke's was introduced.

Received a coupon for a jar and remember thinking it was really close to Hellman's.

WM still carries it so someone is buying it.

m.

16. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I like Kraft Olive Oil Mayonnaise.  That said I keep both it and Hellman's on hand.  

17. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    I used to prefer Hellmann's (Blue Ribbon "Real Mayonnaise”), but went with Best Brand, because I couldn't find it in my area. Tried Miracle Whip (sandwich spread) years ago, but didn't care fo the tangy slightly sweet flat taste. (Maybe that is a result of high fructose corn syrup in the ingredient list.) Actually, I don't use it that often, and the size of the jars are huge. Trying to phase it out usIng mashed avocado instead. For certain items (staples), the ingredient list for store brands are almost identical, and cost less. The topic of brand names pro or con, would be interesting.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  18. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Seriously if you guys can get your hands on Duke's its really good. Like I said, I like it better than Hellman's but I can't get Duke's where I live. Give Kraft a try sometime too, I like their mayo a lot. I usually switch between those two depending on which is on sale. 

I haven't found kewpie around here either (no Asian grocers), but I like Kewpie both alone on things, but where I like it the best is when I want to add things to it to make a quick tartare style sauce, or spicy sauce, or something like that. It mixes really well. 

And yeah, again, Miracle Whip...just no. No, no no no no no no no no no no no no no. 

19. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hellman's, preferably the cage free egg label.

20. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Miracle Whip! It is a Minnesota thing!